Chapter 53 ~ Arthur's Birthday

It has been a while since Julianna and Lancelot sacrificed themselves for Merlin, Arthur and I, and for Camelot, their sacrifice will be remembered in the ages. A part of me still misses Julianna with all my heart, but today is not a day for sadness today is Arthur's birthday.

Merlin and I are in Arthur's chambers. Merlin and I are standing at the window watching all the people coming in for Arthur's birthday. Merlin and I are being entertained by all the people outside.

"Oh! Did you see that?" Merlin exclaims.

I follow Merlin's gaze and see a man get flipped in the air, then caught by another. Then another man is juggling sticks.

"Wow!" I exclaim.

Arthur walks over to us and looks out the window. "It's a man throwing sticks in the air."

Merlin and I look at each other. We move away from the window.

"What's wrong? It's your birthday," Merlin says while closing the window.

Arthur looks at us and sighs.

"A huge feast is being held in your honour," I state.

"You've got dancers, jugglers..." Merlin says.

"And Acrobats", I add.

Arthur starts walking away. Merlin and I follow him.

"And acrobats to entertain you," Merlin finishes.

Arthur sighs.

"Oh, this must be a terrible burden," I say.

"Perhaps I'm less easily impressed than you two," Arthur states.

"We're really looking forward to it," Merlin says.

"Because you have the minds of a child," Arthur continues walking.

Merlin and I stop and look at each other.

"Yet we're still more intelligent than you," Merlin says quietly.

"I heard that!" Arthur shouts from a distance.

Merlin and I chuckle then walk after Arthur.

~.~.~.~.~

That night at Arthur's birthday, I was shocked to see Uther, he actually came out of his room, and he is smiling. It must be so nice for Arthur to have his father with him on his birthday. Everyone applauds as the acrobats finish their performance.

A man with white hair walks forward. "I require a volunteer," He must be the leader of the entertainment, "Prince Arthur, what better or more fitting occasion... for you to demonstrate your legendary bravery? Do you accept the challenge?"

Uther smiles at Arthur. Arthur looks at him and puts his hand on his father's arm.

"Of course," Arthur stands. He walks toward Merlin and me and takes his cape off.

"Is this safe?" I ask.

"It's knife throwing, Olivia. Of course, it's not safe," He gives Merlin his cape and jacket. "but I could hardly refuse his challenge."

Arthur walks off to the turning wheel and gets on it; a jester ties Arthur onto it. The man with the white hair walks over to Arthur, says a few words then shoves an apple into Arthur's mouth. Merlin and I glance at each other. The white-haired man gestures to the jester; he starts spinning Arthur. The white-haired man grabs a knife and throws it; it lands just to the left of Arthur's head. The crowd cheers and applauds. I take a deep breath and cover my eyes with my hand. I move my finger out of the way as the man throws the knife; it lands just to the right of Arthur's head. Merlin slows the time down with the final knife, so it's slower for him and me. We watch the knife fly toward Arthur. I close my eyes as it gets closer; I hear the noise of it hitting something, then silence. The spinning stops. I open my eyes and see the knife is in the apple that in Arthur's mouth. I sigh in relief then clap along with everyone else. Arthur leans his head back on the board.