Freedom

It was almost midnight as Zuko walked through a trail with commoner clothes and a short cloak to hide his face in case, it was an hour walk but he didn't mind, the night was quiet, he understood why some people preferred it when the fire nation was the quietest at night, they rise with the sun. He held a bag over his shoulder, a few notebooks, some scrolls, all were full of his writing, his words.

The consequences seemed to be narrowing down each day that passes. His plan for the future he could start to see what could happen in each scenario. But he saw that there was freedom if he was strong enough, there would be freedom but lives would be sacrificed.

She would see freedom.

And he would smile if her chains were finally gone.

But what would happen after being free? What would happen to his people? His uncle? His sister even...

He arrived at a door that was underground in steel. He knew there was going to be guards, he grabbed his mask from the bag and slipped it over his face. Silently he opened the door and closed it and snuck into the chambers.

He could hear guards in talking, words echoed and it was easy to avoid being seen as long as he was fast and quiet.

But he found the other door he was looking for, it was locked. He grabbed a key he had in his boot, there was only two and one was his fathers. He unlocked the door and flinched at the sound but he went in the room and locked behind him looking to see if any guard were close.

Zuko let out a soft sigh standing in the room that only had light from above from the sky but it was small and it had bars in the prison. He put a black sheet over the window of the door so he could give more light in the prison.

"Hey aang," he whispered and saw the avatar sitting in the center with a blindfold over his eyes and chains that were connected to his ankles but were loose and chains to his wrist.

"Zuko," the fourteen year old avatar smiled as he felt warm hands take off his blind fold.

"Or should I say blue spirit," Aang laughed a little seeing his mask. Zuko remembered and took off the mask.

Zuko unlocked Aangs wrist and he groaned softly touching and rubbed his skin. Zuko would free him yet but at least gave his friend a break.

Zuko was about to grab the books but gasped softly when Aang hugged him tightly. Guilt flooded zukos chest and hugged him back just as tight, he hated that this is what it's came down too.

"How's being engaged?" Aang whispered not letting go yet. He needed the human touch and Zuko wouldn't let go until Aang was ready, he would be the first to pull away.

"It's not bad, you would like her, she's a little spitfire," Zuko sighed rested his chin on top of aangs head and held him close.

"I wrote everything down," he told him.

"Aang when you escape I need you to take Katara with you, I need you to keep her safe, you two will escape to the water tribe, Yue knows what's going on and I got the eldest of the southern water tribe to join in, he's Kataras brother," Zuko told him sternly trying to quickly explain everything.

"My uncle already has a plan for escaping back to the white lotus so you don't have to worry about that but you and Katara can't come back for anything or anyone, once it starts you both leave the fire nation until this war is over, till my father is dead or defeated, do you understand?" He looked down at the monk as Aang has a sickening feeling in his chest.

"You're coming with right?" Aang whispered hugging him tightly.

"I'll try but I can't leave my people in his hands, and I can't let ozai win, I'm going to fight," Zuko closed his eyes.

"An Agni kai..." he breathed and Zuko nodded. They let go and Aang looked at him wide eyes.

"An Agni kai is how your going to defeat Ozai? What if- what if it doesn't..." he gulped but Zuko already was prepared.

"That's why your going to the water tribes, with Katara, sokka, Yue, the avatar there is a greater chance you'll win if I fail," Zuko told him calmly.

"That's suicide!" Aang barked but his mouth was quickly covered.

"That's crazy Zuko? People need you, for when the war is over they'll need you," Aang pushed his hand off with a small glare.

Zuko stayed quiet and aangs eyes widen knowing exactly what that silence meant.

"You already are planning your death, aren't you?" Aang glared.

"It's if worse comes to worse," Zuko whispered.

"Okay, say Ozai dies, you die, something happens to azula and iroh, what happens then, hotman?" Aang huffed crossing his arms.

Zuko pursed his lips.

"I'm making a will, I explained how it all works if there is no one in the royal family left, no fire lord, no fire lady, I... I'm leaving it to ambassador Katara," he crossed his arms and Aang covered his mouth a little.

"After we're married the fire sages can't even change it if I die, I was going to be fire lord, she would be my wife, Katara is the next one for a leader, my people need someone like her," Zuko couldn't look at him, Aang was the first hes ever told.

"Is that a good idea Zuko? She's water tribe, and do you trust her? Enough to take care of the nation?" Aang asked softly.

"I know she's a great leader, I trust her completely, she's everything they'll need once the war is over, compassion, strength, change, she's amazing and I know she could do it, I just hate I'd have to leave something like that to her," Zuko nodded with a little blush staining his cheeks, his heart fluttered at the thought of her being able to do what they couldn't.

"And with you restoring peace... I think it's time to change, the fire nation needs to change," he smiled up at aang.

"You have three more months till the wedding," Aang sighed leaning back and looking at the ceiling with the barred window above.

"That's the easy part, Katara already is an allie," Zuko agreed.

"You should do panda lilies as the flower," Aang smiled back at him.

"Wha... what?" Zuko blinked confused at the sudden change.

"For the wedding, you should have the flowers be panda lilies, they're my favorite, and symbolize love," he grinned brightly and zukos face softened.

"I'll bring them up, I forgot flowers are part of weddings," Zuko sighed looking down.

"I know my parents wedding there were no plants, flowers, no life, just red and gold decorations when they were married, I'd like flowers at least," Zuko blushed smiling a little.

"You love her," Aang smiled more and Zuko made a face.

"Who?" Zuko asked confused.

"Katara, you fell for her," it wasn't even a question, he made it a statement despite zuko being so baffled.

"I-I-I am not in love with Katara!" Zuko scoffed.

"Be-besides she won't love me anyways, she said it herself, it would be a waste of time to fall in love with her," he waved the avatar off as aang looked excited.

"Try getting her to fall in love with you, if she grew up in the tundra then I'm guessing she's not use to being treated like a princess, and you need to be treated like a princess to become a queen," Aang giggled with a bright smile.