Losing time

Katara raced throughout the palace as she hunted down her husband to find out how stupid he was today. She had a sharp eye out for Suki as well now knowing she was working for Zuko.

Today was the eclipse though.

"Okay Katara, we've been getting ready for months for this, get your shit together," she rested against the wall with a sigh as she took her wet hair out of the pony tail from running through the rain when she escaped from her room.

"It's been an hour, Suki said we were on a time limit or something," she wrung her hair out to stop the dripping and shook her head.

Suddenly a hand wrapped around her mouth and waist dragging her back into a small closet within a second as Katara couldn't even scream for help.

"My love, why must you be so difficult? You know if we're on limited time you shouldn't be so hard to find," A calm voice whispered in her ear and Katara glared unamused.

"Just listen, please," Zuko turned his wife around to look down at her.

"You lied to me," she hissed but he covered her mouth again.

"I'm sorry kat, but I need you to listen," he hushed her a little.

She had a frown but nodded pulling his hand off her face. Her hands shook as she gripped zukos wrist.

"Aang knows what to do, Suki is getting out of here too with you but you need to get to the air temple and get to the North Pole, you'll be safe," Zuko explained quietly as Katara stared at him annoyed.

"I know that dumb ass, I get Aang and you get your uncle after your Agni kai?" She crossed her arms glaring.

He shook his head. Her heart dropped.

"I need you to leave now with Suki, the eclipse is in an hour, that gives you time to get to Aang and break him out when there's no fire bending," Zuko whispered as he gulped a little not looking at her.

"Your facing Ozai alone?" Katara breathed.

"I have too," he nodded.

"I'm not helpless, I'm not a pathetic princess, Zuko, let me stay, let me be there in case you need a healer, we're in this together," she felt sick to beg a man for her to stay, everything in her body burned when he begged him. She never wanted to be the type of woman that can't live without her significant other but that was before she fell in love. She didn't want to see her love die.

"I need you to find my uncle, I'm putting my trust in you for this nation kat," Zuko cupped her jaw gently as tears weld up in her eyes.

"Ambassador Katara right?" He smiled down at her as a single tear ran down her face.

"Such a stupid name," she sniffled.

"But it's better than some queen or lady shit," Katara held his hand and he pulled her close in the tightest hug he could manage as Katara buried her face in his shoulder.

"I'll see you again, I promise," Zuko whispered holding her to his body to afraid to let go yet.

"You better cause I will hunt you down," she gripped the back of his shirt till her knuckles turned white.

"I love you,"

Zuko felt a tear run down his face hearing her say those three words that would keep him fighting as long as he lived.

"I love you too kat," he kissed her forehead gently. "I love you so much,"

"Wait for me," Zuko looked at her sadly.

"Come back to me," she touched his cheek and brushed against his scar.

"Of course my love," he smiled kissing her palm. Katara pulled him by his shirt and pressed her lips against his firmly as her arms wrapped around his shoulders. The kiss was slow and lasting, the last kiss they may share for a while.

After spending every day with each other for six months. To be torn away to possibly being weeks or months without each other. It was an intense change but it had to happen. If they were lucky maybe it would only be a week.

"Suki is in my room staying out of sight, please go get Aang," Zuko wiped her tears away and pressed another sweet kiss to her lips.

"Please be smart, we need you," Katara kissed his scar kindly and hugged him once more.

"I will," he smiled nodding.

Katara walked into zukos room and saw Suki waiting patiently.

"Done with your temper tantrum?" Suki looked at her.

"Let's go," Katara grabbed her knife back.

"I have our bags out in the forest outside the capital, it's headed towards Aang," Suki nodded getting off the bed.

"So much for your walk earlier," Katara smiled at her, forcing herself to smile today.

"It'll take forty minutes to walk on foot to the prison, we'll wait for the eclipse to hit then we have eight minutes to break the avatar out," Suki explain as they walked into the hall. The red head froze wide eyes as she saw another pair of ears heard her.

Katara noticed Sukis stress and turned to see Ty Lee.

"The avatar?" Ty Lee blinked wide eyes as she backed away.

Katara didn't hesitate to bend water at her and froze girl against the wall immediately up to her mouths so she couldn't yell.

"Don't try to scream," Katara looked at them sternly as Suki had her own blade in her hand ready for a fight.

Ty lee tried to say something but the ice froze against her mouth. Katara gulped at her friend but unfroze her mouth.

"You knew of the eclipse?" Ty lee asked.

"You knew too?" Katara was surprised.

"We all know except the guards and staff," she nodded confused.

"What?" She whispered.

"The fire lord knows?" Suki asked shocked.

"Of course," Ty lee nodded. 

"I'm sorry Ty lee," Katara offered.

"Aren't we friends?" She asked softly.

"I thought we were yea," the water bender looked down.

"Your betraying the fire nation for the avatar... is Zuko the one that's..." Ty Lee put the pieces together and realized why Katara was leaving.

"Let me out hold on," she looked at Katara.

Katara released her but Suki tried to protest as the gymnast ran over and hugged Katara tightly.

"We're still friends, even if you commit treason," Ty Lee nodded.

"Come with," Katara offered hugging her back.

"I can't, Azula needs me here," she shook her head.

"But I'll look out for Zuko, you guys grew on me," Ty Lee smiled.

"See you soon ty," Katara squeezed her once more.

They parted off with a final good bye and Katara took Suki through the back, she jumped at the crack of thunder again that rumbled in the air.

She felt eyes over her shoulder and couldn't help but look over. The door to the fire lords wing of the palace was being opened. By Zuko.

They looked at each other at the ends of the hall. Katara felt tears weld up in her eyes as he had a hand on the open door but looked at her.

He nodded firmly and went inside, closing the large doors behind her.

"Come on," Suki pulled her along. They were loosing time.

There was loud boom in the middle of the palace. Katara felt as if it came from where Zuko was. It was behind her.

But then flames started to lick the inside of the fire lord chamber doors where Zuko entered.

"Spirits, fire," Katara gasped as she started to run. There was fire.

The battles in the palace begun.