Disrespectful

Katara woke up at dawn remembering the agreement she had with master pakku. She yawned sitting up but before she put her feet on the ground, she saw Zuko sleeping soundlessly on the ground with a pillow and single blanket.

She didn't remember him going to sleep on the ground last night, she remembered they were talking but then nothing.

"Hey," she poked him in the back with her foot as she wrapped a robe around herself as she wore baggy pants under.

"Wake up fire bender," Katara crossed her arms poking him again.

"Just the way I love being woken up by my betrothed," Zuko mumbled sarcastically with his eyes still closed.

"So you make jokes now?" She raised a brow.

"Oh right, I'm suppose to stay frowns and hated, alright will do," he sat up with a yawn as he got to his feet, shivering a little from the cold.

"You ready to start training?" Zuko asked as he wore his fire nation clothes still but wore a tighter parka to move easier during training. He liked the hood that had thick fur and kept his ears warm.

"Yea, is pakku going to be easy on me because I'm a girl?" Katara asked a little more anxious now.

"Ha look who's making jokes now? Pakku won't go easy on anyone, you have to earn his respect," Zuko raised his arms over his head to stretch.

"Great," Katara covered her face with a groan.

"Look kat-" he paused. "Look Katara, you have natural power, and to be a healer, you'll do great,"

Katara pursed her lips looking up at him with her big blue eyes, he had his back to her as he cracked his neck from sleeping on the floor. He grabbed the jacket and threw it over himself.

"You might want to eat something before hand, I have to meet Yue for two hours then I'll join you," he looked over his shoulder with his scarred side facing her.

"Think you'll be able to handle it?" Zuko asked calmly.

"Absolutely," she nodded.

"So once you have the throne, I think our trading system should change a little, I'm thinking of some needs we could use in exchange for whatever the fire nation could need from us, weaponry?" Yue asked with her hands around zukos arm as they walked the tribes icy streets back to the training.

"Well once there's peace I really would rather have the fire nation become less of a weaponry country, weve done our violence, it's not something I want us to be relied on," Zuko explained calmly and Yue smiled at that.

"I respect that," she hummed.

"But the trades between fire nation and water tribe would be needing the improvement," he agreed.

"So how do you think your fiancé is handling master pakku?" Yue giggled leaning against him as Zuko shrugged.

"She's not someone you should underestimate... but it's pakku..." he gulped a little as they headed closer to the training grounds.

"Exactly," she poked his cheek as Zuko grumbled not fighting her.

"Oh and I've been practicing a little combat, I know it's against my tribe but I remember what you taught me, I can definitely beat you," Yue giggled as Zuko smirked at her.

"Yea? Does father dearest know you practice?" Zuko teased back and she shushed him.

"Our secret," she laughed and Zuko chuckled nodding.

She never knew it was only her tribe that was so strict against women being in battle, to treat them so frail that they could never truly defend themselves, that was until she met Zuko. He told her about his sister and admitted to his female guards and soldiers of his nation, how they were equal to men. There was still tradition of the eldest son being the next fire lord but his father has mentioned many times how azula would be just as a fitted ruler.

It did make her sad that she would never be as powerful as other women, not in strength or combat. She was glad that Katara would be the one setting new standards to have more of an open mind to women.

Yue smiled at how lucky Katara was, she didn't know it now but she was lucky she was marrying Zuko. Despite the situation they were stuck in, Zuko wasn't the worst one she could be marrying, he wasn't rude (anymore), he was shy, and didn't really like conflict (anymore).

It was his temper that got the better of him sometimes but usually it comes from a good place in his heart.

They approached the other warriors as Zuko saw Katara sitting on the ground looking annoyed as pakku barked at the two men who were training together.

"How's it going so far?" Zuko walked over to Katara as she leaned back to look up at the two royals.

"He hasn't even looked at me since I said good morning," she said flatly and Zuko raised his brow.

"Good morning master pakku," Zuko called over with a small as Katara stood up.

"You here to join us?" Pakku raised a brow at the young man.

"Yes, Katara and I are ready to join," he nodded as Katara blushed a little at that.

"I'm sorry there's just no one at her level that she can train with, maybe my younger students later today," pakku shrugged but Zuko frowned.

"Now we both know that's shit," Zuko let go of Yue and walked over to him with the snow crunching under his boots.

"You said you'd train her, you gave me your word," Zuko narrowed his eyes as the students stepped away.

"And I will, with the twelve year olds," pakku smirked at him.

"That's disrespectful to her," Zuko snapped.

"And your being disrespectful to me," pakku sighed turning around with his back to the prince.

Zukos fist curled up as he felt rage bubble up inside him. He told Katara she would be trained with her water bending, it was apart of the deal for her to not tell his father about his uncle or more.

"Pakku!" He snarled and whipped fire that licked the back of the old mans boot. Everyone was silent.