Luck

Zuko leaned against the tree by the pond writing a letter as he was deep into his own mind, not noticing Katara joining him at the pond with her own book to sit in the comfortable silence at the palace gardens.

"So who are you writing too?" Katara asked finally.

Zuko jumped away surprised as he gasped not noticing her, Katara cocked her head to the side confused as he put a hand over his chest wide eyes.

"Dont sneak up on me, fuck," Zuko groaned inhaling deeply.

"I didn't," she snorted opening her book.

"I'm just writing," he answered her after a moment.

"Like a diary?" She glanced over and his hand blocked it.

"In a way," Zuko sighed closing his eyes. He cried out surprised again when Katara looked over him moving his hand to read it.

Hey Aang-

"Get out of here," he pushed her back but Katara grabbed the paper curiously to read.

"You write to the avatar?" Katara asked softly as Zuko struggled getting it back.

"Give," he whined with his hand out. Katara handed it back amused as Zuko looked annoyed.

"The avatars locked up? Why are you writing to him?" Katara asked again in a low tone for no one to hear.

"... I just give an update, it's something he asked me to promise when we were in the North Pole, to know what's going on in my life since he knew..." Zuko trailed off slowly and Katara pursed her lips.

"He knew about your family?" She asked.

"He knew about me being a prince and how my father is, hes destine to end this war, I wanted him to have as much knowledge as he needed, and some reminders that the fire lord isn't just some regular human," he explained quietly.

"Why would he.. you were helping him so he could kill your father?" Katara covered her mouth a little and Zuko shrugged.

"It's one way to end the war," he nodded.

"Ozais never been a father, don't make it a big deal that the avatar needs to kill him to restore peace," Zuko elaborated as he continued to write on the letter.

"I guess yea, even with the marriage?" She gulped a little seeing how unbothered her betrothed was.

"Ozai still would be fire lord, unless he willingly steps down or dies, that's the only way for me to be fire lord and take control, but that's also why our marriage is forced, so the eldest can have a bloodline in case something we're happen to the fire lord," the prince sighed knowing the topic was hard to explain without being uncomfortable to either of them since they were getting married they'd have to do wife and husband things to keep the fire nations bloodline going.

"They're not going to force us to have kids are they?" Katara asked worried.

"Fuck I hope not," he groaned.

"I do not want to start a family," Zuko scoffed.

"Well sorry I'm not the first choice but I'm not that awful," Katara blinked offended.

"You really think I can be a father? Your funny," Zuko corrected.

"What? And I'd have to be the one to raise the kids? Seriously?" Katara made a face annoyed.

"Kat I just don't think that's what we should be worried about right now? I don't want to talk about started a family with you no offense, not the future I want to think about," he scrunched up his nose a little disgusted and she frowned still offended.

"Fine, cause that's just another thing to add to our plate," she crossed her arms.

She almost forgot that they'd have to be parents together unless one or the other had an affair. And why was Zuko so disgusted at the idea at being a father to their children? Or was it because it would be her that's the mother? Or just that they'd have to be a family and he'd have to be a parent to kids he didn't want. It almost scared her at how familiar that sounded in this nation.

"So what's wrong with us being parents? Am I that disgusting to be a mother?" She snapped after a moment.

"Seriously?" Zuko raised a brow.

"Yea, seriously," Katara looked at him.

"I'll be honest, I've never really wanted to be a father, no, I never wanted to have kids, I don't want to put an innocent life on this land just for a war to traumatize them or even better, this family they'd be stuck in," he huffed looking at her seriously. "I don't want to put someone in this shit situation the worlds in, especially if it's my own kid,"

"Also that means we have to have sex," he smiled sarcastically making Kataras face heat up.

"I-I knew that!" She defended.

"You want to have sex with me?" Zuko raised a brow confused and her face burned more.

"Absolutely fucking not!" Katara cried out horrified at the idea.

"Then don't talk about starting a family," he smiled sweetly but there was no kindness, just pettiness.

"Also it's not you that makes me uncomfortable, it's the whole situation," Zuko commented as she was still bright red, which was amusing to him.

"I-I guess that's fair," she mumbled embarrassed.

"Are we done or are we still talking about sex and having a kid or two?" Zuko smirked a little seeing how much more red Katara could get. Definitely redder now.

"Shut up! I'm going back inside asshole!" Katara stood up quickly as Zuko smiled at his victory.

"You brought it up~" he hummed watching her storm off and flipped him off without looking back.

Zuko went back to writing the letter to his friend, he told Aang all about Katara, how he needs to watch over her once he's free and takes his betrothed far from here, rescuer her from the horrors of this palace. Even if that means Zuko wouldn't be with them, either stuck here or his plans fail, Katara would be killed if zukos plans failed after they're married. Katara doesn't think he'll fail, but he knew better than to rely on luck, there's nothing luck could help with against his father.