Responcible

Katara sat in the library in a shorter dress that flowed around her knees as she was barefoot sitting in the library with a bowl of fruit to snack on. Her hair was in a messy bun as the sun beamed on her but she was intrigued with her book, not much to do without taking care of a village and doing chores. It was a weird feeling having all the time in the world to do nothing, the servants shooed her away every time she tried cleaning a room or pick up her own mess.

She heard a child laughing and babbling from the halls and glanced up a little. She didn't know there was children here.

She suddenly felt a tug on the blanket she was sitting on and looked down seeing a four year old boy.

"Hi!" He squealed loudly.

"Hi? What's your name?" Katara smiled setting the book down.

"I'm Tom Tom!" He giggled with his hands behind his back. He had black hair that covered his forehead and narrowed almond eyes that where a dark gold.

"My names Katara, are your parents near by buddy?" She knelt down to him but he didn't seem scared that he was alone, maybe his parents worked here and was allowed to roam free? Definitely didn't seem like his first time here.

"No im with my big sister, mommy says we don't spend enough time together so I get to spend the weekend with her," Tom Tom explained as he ate a strawberry from her fruit bowl.

"Who's your big sister? I'll help you find her," Katara slid the bowl closer to him.

"Hi zuko!" Tom Tom waved by the door as the prince walked by. Zuko paused and walked backwards to the door seeing the child.

"Tom?" He blinked confused.

"Where's Mai?" He asked with a sigh joining the two.

"Your sisters Mai?" Katara stood up as Tom Tom nodded eating the fruit.

"I don't know she walked away before, she said I could do anything I want just don't break anything or she'll send me to Azula," Tom Tom explained as Zuko crossed his arms.

"You shouldn't be left alone, you could get hurt or someone might take you," Zuko looked down at him calmly.

"Should we find Mai?" Katara asked quietly.

"Probably, she needs to take a little responsibility," Zuko looked annoyed a little.

"Right now? She's so boring and doesn't like me," Tom Tom finished the bowl and Katara pouted a little at her missing snack.

"She had a long time without a brother, it's easier to have a sibling around your age, when your older you'll have more in common," Zuko knelt down to him with a small smile.

"Can we play instead? I'm here all weekend I think," Tom Tom pursed his lips.

"Maybe later let's just find your sister first," Zuko told him calmly and the little boy nodded but lifted his arms. Zuko rolled his eyes but picked up the child.

"Where was the last place you saw her?" He asked setting Tom Tom on his hip while the child wrapped his arms around zukos neck.

"Garden I think? She said I could feed the turtle ducks but left me alone after," the boy told him as Katara watched how Zuko wasn't thrilled but seemed really familiar dealing with kids. Maybe he was good with Azula as a child but they're only two years apart.

"Great, alright let's go on a hunt for the boring witch," Zuko sighed a little.

"Sorry if he bothered you kat, Tom is usually mellow just likes to wonder," he offered a smile to her as Katara had her hands behind her back.

"No not at all, he's sweet, a little handsome man," Katara giggled as Tom Tom blushed smiling at her.

"Are you zukos girlfriend?" He asked looking at her brightly.

"I-uh no-no, we're friends," Katara laughed nervously as Zuko didn't look at her as he kept his eyes on the four year old.

"Can You be my girlfriend?" Tom Tom gasped and zukos head snapped up at her to see her reaction. He grinned smugly seeing her flustered.

"Wow your stealing all of mais boys apparently," he teased and Katara burned awkwardly.

"I don't think I'm ready for a boyfriend but I'm happy to be your friend Tom Tom," Katara rubbed her arms trying to not hurt his feelings.

"It's because of my stupid sister isn't it?" He said flatly and Zuko covered his mouth trying to not laugh.

"Yea," Katara agreed giving up.

-

"Mai," Zuko found her as Tom Tom was on his shoulders and Katara was next to him.

"You have a child on you," Mai told him not looking up from sharpening one of her blades.

"It's your brother, take it back," Zuko took him off his shoulders and held Tom Tom out to her.

"He's perfectly fine here, I don't need to watch him in a safe palace," Mai sighed as Tom Tom was put on the ground.

"Told you," the child looked back at them.

"What if he fell and hurt himself? Or there was an intruder? Mai he's four he can't be left alone in a big palace like this," Katara crossed her arms with a sigh.

"Then you watch him," Mai raised a brow.

"Yay!" Tom Tom jumped hugging her leg.

"Your parents made you take him for the weekend so you can bond, just spend some time with him," Katara put her hand on the back of his head gently as she looked at Mai.

"Your not my mom and I don't like children," Mai glared at her.

"He's your brother," Zuko glared back.

"If he can form a perfectly fine sentence and walk then he'll survive a royal palace just fine," she said unamused as the two didn't looked pleased.

"He is your responsibility," Zuko snapped crossing his arms.

"He'll just give you two practice for becoming the perfect parents from a perfect marriage in a perfect relationship," Mai smirked a little as they both blushed.

"Please, you'll have to have kids sooner or later so might as well keep this healthy relationship going for figuring out an amazing parenting style for your little brats," she stood up with her hands on her hips.

Zuko knew this game, to get in their heads so she didn't have to deal with the reason they came out to her in the first place. It was a mind game and manipulation.

"Hey Tom Tom, I'm sorry but you have to stay with Mai till your parents get back, if something happens to you without Mai there a lot of people could get in trouble, and we don't want you to get hurt, your welcome to paint and read and eat anything you want you just have to stay with Mai okay?" Zuko knelt down to him so they were eye level and knowing he'll listen better.

"... and you can go on a date with Katara when you come back next time," he smirked making the child gasped excitedly.

"Okay Zuzu!" Tom Tom let go of the Princess and went back to Mai who looked pissed.

"Seriously?" Mai scoffed as her brother stood next to her with his hands behind his back.

"Yes seriously," Katara huffed as Zuko stood behind her.

Mai looked at the two, they looked to Damn close for not being a couple, they weren't. They were a team and maybe that was worse.

"You two are so pathetic, I'm talking to you later about this Zuko," Mai waved them off annoyed.

"Bite me, Mai," Zuko was already walking away not bothering with another second with her.