Or another

Ozai stood in front of his two children, Katara, mai and ty Lee were waiting outside of the fire lords chambers a little anxious. Zuko and Azula were on their knees bowed to their father after the sun went down.

"There's been word of the traitor that has attempted to harm our family," Ozai stood with his hands behind his back.

"Of course they'll probably come for the weak again, have You heard anything since prince Zuko?" He looked down at his son.

"Not since the morning after the attack, I was told it was possibly a rebel from the earth kingdom," Zuko responded calmly. He wasn't ready to throw Jet into the lions den yet.

"How do you know it's earth kingdom?" Ozai questioned.

"The poison they attacked with was only made in the earth kingdom, I'm guessing its someone part of the rebellion," he explained and Azula nodded knowing as well.

"Are they still in the palace?" The fire lord turned from his children.

"I'm not sure, they could be a soldier, a servant, or hiding, they even could've left father," Zuko bowed his head down.

"What would You both advise we shall do?" Ozai hummed curiously.

"I say we line up every servant, guard, even the cooks and find the traitor or traitors, then slaughter them in front of the others as a warning," Azula offered in a soft innocent tone.

Zuko stayed quiet with his eyes down, they just can't find out Katara knows already.

"Did you guys enjoy the gathering? I think it's so refreshing to see the people that help run our nation," Ty Lee rocked on the back of her feet in the room waiting for the royal family to finish. Katara sat on the sofa lounge leaning on the arm while mai was standing close to ty Lee. There was heavy tension.

"It was nice, the people seemed really grateful for the royal family, do we do that much for them?" Katara smiled back ignoring mai.

"I mean the fire nation was winning the war for a hundred years so it's a safety thing I think, and a lot of people think the war is coming to an end soon," she shrugged but none of the girls believe it.

"It doesn't feel like it," Katara crossed her arms a little.

"We have the avatar, the fire nation has the water tribe basically now, our military is still the strongest, either way the fire nation is winning and it makes people feel at ease," mai rolled her eyes leaning against the wall.

"Do we have their best interest at heart at least? To make sure all the soldiers get to see their home again? Safe?" Katara glanced at her frowning.

"The fire lord having civilians best interest? He doesn't care about that," mai scoffed a little.

Katara understood that, she knows how heartless the fire lord, her father in law now, is. She knew the horrible things he's done not just to the world or his people but to his own family. His own child, children, abusing his son and neglecting his daughter. His brother was in jail because of him. The rumor was he killed his own wife. It's not out of the question.

"It should be finishing up soon," Ty Lee looked at the door.

"Good," Katara huffed glaring a little.

"Why the hurry?" Mai narrowed her eyes.

"I don't like sharing my space with someone that doesn't know basic manners," the water bender twirled the ends of her hair in her fingers.

"Excuse me?" Mai got off the wall.

"Katara don't," Ty Lee covered her mouth.

"Don't what? Don't call someone who assaulted another person out that they're in the wrong?" Katara stood up.

"I know what you did to Zuko and that was fucked up, where are your morals mai?" She spat harshly.

"He didn't pull away, I wouldn't mind him as a side hobby while he's not acting like your puppy," mai raised a brow with a small smirk.

"I had to take you out to get you to stop mai," Ty Lee gasped horrified.

"Shut up ty Lee," mai barked making the girl I pink jump.

"If it wasn't for Azula you would have no use here, you don't do anything but argue with anyone in range and act entitled like you actually are worth more than a rich governors daughter, you don't do anything," Katara snarled clenching her fists tightly.

"And you do? Trophy wife," mai hissed.

"I'll show you what I can do, you and me outside right now, I'll even not use my bending for you," Katara put her hands on her hips glaring darkly. She knew she'd loose without her bending but didn't mean she wouldn't break Mai's teeth in the process.

"Hey what the hell you guys?" Zuko entered the room as Azula had a small grin on her face walking with her brother.

"It's nothing," mai crossed her arms glaring.

"How was the little meeting?" Katara pushed her hair off her shoulder. Changing the topic so they didn't cause disturbance to the fire lord.

"We'll talk later," he whispered and offered his arm for Katara so they could leave. She wrapped her hands around close to his elbow and sent Mai a side glare and tightened her grip a little.

"Everything okay?" She asked softly.

"Something for us to talk about," Zuko nodded but saw her eyes trace back to mai. He pulled Katara along keeping her at his side. His hand placed on top of hers.

"Did she say anything to you?" Zuko gulped a little.

"No, but I definitely got her thinking with what I said," Katara smiled shrugging.

"Youre trouble," he chuckled a little with a nudge.

"You're a bad influence on me," she giggled as warmth spread across her face.

Was this what a crush felt like? She felt better being around Zuko, like she didn't have the weight of a burden on her shoulders, she wasn't homesick, she wasn't scared. He made her feel safe. It didn't hurt when Zuko was also a very attractive young man as well, iroh didn't lie about that. Did she have a crush? Is that why she felt so jealous, protective, almost possessive of him? Or did she just hate mai that much?

Her heart felt like it was beating a hundred times and heavy in her chest, more she thought about it the more she believed it was true that she had some sort of feelings for Zuko...

She felt like an idiot. How could she let this happen? She convinced herself before she even arrived to the fire nation that she wouldn't fall for anyone that lived on enemy land. Much less the prince.

But so much has changed since she met Zuko, yes she left her home but would she have ever left if it wasn't for their marriage? He made her a powerful water bender, she felt like she was worth so much more to the world now. She could help so much more now. They could help so much more now together.

And it wasn't just for the power she's been given. She's made such a wonderful friend, someone she would trust her life with and know will be caught.

What a dumb ass for having feelings for her husband.

Her calm smile dropped when they were walking and Katara was deep in her thoughts. She told Zuko she would never love him in that way, to never have feelings for him... and now...

Maybe it wasn't just having feelings and it was true under circumstances they might've been in love a long time ago, maybe they could've been in love now if they weren't forced. This didn't feel like soul mates nor love at first sight.

But she felt like she met someone she was always suppose to meet. In this life or another...