Years ago

"Mom do I have too?" Seven year old Zuko hugged his mother's leg as she placed her hand on his back a little.

"Your father is in a meeting but you should always greet your guest, even if they're not from our nation," Ursa smiled gently at her son as the boy closed his eyes shaking his head as he pressed his forehead against her.

"Dad says water tribe eats people," Zuko whimpered as he gripped her robes tighter.

"Your father isn't always right you know," Ursa said flatly as she knew her husband would tell their child an easy lie.

"The northern water tribe and southern water tribe both have a child that's your age Zuko, one is a boy and one is a girl, the southern water tribe chief also has a daughter that's Azulas age," Ursa smiled gently as she led her son to the library to meet the guest.

"Chief Hakoda let his family come with to see the fire nation, before the war all the nations could travel anywhere they'd like to share their culture and celebrations," she hummed and heard more children near by in the library.

Zuko looked over curiously hearing noise and paused seeing a mother with her son chatting away as he played with black ink on paper to paint as the mother read to her young daughter in her lap.

"I-oh fire lady Ursa, I'm so sorry for touching the book, a servant brought paint but only enough for one-" "oh please, there's plenty for books, don't fret," Ursa walked over calmly to the mother as the five year old girl looked over at Zuko.

"Zuko this is the southern water tribes chiefs wife and children, say hello," Ursa nudged the boy as Zuko was nervous with the strangers.

"H-h-hi," Zuko didn't look at them.

"Hello, I'm Kya, This is my son sokka and my daughter Katara," the mother smiled kindly and Katara got off her and ran to the prince.

"Can you bend?" Katara asked quickly in zukos face.

"Katara don't be rude," Kya called to her youngest.

"Yea, can you?" Zuko gulped trying to back away.

"Yea! But my brother can't," Katara looked at him excitedly.

"Really? Why?" Zuko looked at the other child who didn't bother looking up as he was focused on painting.

"I don't know, maybe because he got bit by a penguin seal on his toes?" Katara cocked her head to the side.

"That's how you don't get your bending?" Zuko gasped horrified.

"I think? I've never gotten bitten," Katara shrugged.

"Mom did I get bit by a penguin seal?!" Zuko turned around wide eyes.

"Why don't you show Katara the garden Zuko, it seems like you two get along," Ursa smiled sweetly to them.

"Would sokka like to join them?" She asked Kia and the other mother looked at her son who paid no attention to them.

"No I think he's okay, we don't have a lot of arts and crafts in the pole," Kya chuckled gently as the two kids ran out.

"Then while it's quiet," Ursa sighed reaching behind a shelf and held up a bottle of red wine.

"Oh yes please, the one reason I come with Hakoda to his travels before the kids were born," Kia sighed relieved.

"So how have you been?" Kya smiled brightly at Ursa.

"Love my children, my in laws are..." she made a face and drank the wine then handed it to the other mother.

"It's so warm," the five year old ran with Zuko to the garden as he smiled at her.

"Isn't it super duper cold?" Zuko sat by the pond with blossom petals in the water.

"Yep, have you ever seen snow?" Katara asked confused.

"Nope, I've never left the fire nation, I have gone to an island with my mom before," Zuko thought for a moment.

"Wow I never went to an island, like with sand?" Katara smiled excitedly.

"Yea! My uncle buried my cousin in the sand once and we built a castle on top, then my cousin and I did it to my uncle when he fell asleep later," Zuko giggled and looked over his shoulder at the rose bush behind him.

"Do you have flowers at home?" He asked staring at the flowers and Katara played with her fingers in the water.

"Nope, we only have ice and snow, I've never really seen plants before we came here," Katara explained easily and heard a small cry from the side.

"Ow," Zuko scratched his hand on a thorn but held a white rose in his hand.

"How did you bleed? It's a flower," Katara jumped to her feet and went to him curiously.

"Roses have thorns, you have to be careful," Zuko explained and showed her behind him where the bush was.

"How come you touched it then? It hurt you?" Katara frowned confused.

"Because I thought you could take a flower home since you don't have any, and I have a lot here so you can have more if you want," Zuko handed it to her with a smile and Katara gasped in awe.

"Really?!" She squealed.

"We should find more for you to take home!" Zuko shook his fists excitedly and she nodded vigorously.

"Your so smart! Thank you Zuko, I can't wait to show gran gran back home," Katara giggled and they ran to other bushes and plants that they could great a small bouquet with for the water tribe girl. Katara picked any flower she liked as Zuko told her the names that he remembered and held the flowers for her so she could pick more.

"How are we could to keep it together? It's gonna fall..." Katara looked at Zuko sadly as they laid the flower pile on the ground to sort.

"Here use this," Zuko took the tie wrap out of his hair that held it in a pony tail, his hair fell and handed it to Katara with a bright smile.

"You really are smart," Katara giggled as he held the flowers together for her to tie the bottom.

"Now you can keep them together and no one gets left behind," Zuko nodded proudly and Katara giggled again.

"Thank you, your the first fire bender I've ever met," Katara hugged him tightly and he hugged her back with no hesitation.

"Your the first water bender I ever met," Zuko laughed.

"We should become master benders together, that'd be so cool, make your sister and my brother jealous," Katara grinned with mischief.

"Yea totally, my fire isn't that big but when I'm older I'll get so much better like my dad!" Zuko punched the air excitedly.

"Yay! I'm so excited," Katara squealed with a small jump.

Zuko laid on the ground as he stared at the ceiling and heard Katara breathe from his bed as she fell asleep with a book over her face. He sat up hearing a sudden aggressive snore.

"God your loud," he huffed getting up to walk to her.

He took the book off her face and grabbed a ribbon from the side that she had in her hair earlier to bookmark it. Zuko rolled his eyes as he grabbed the blanket to throw over her body knowing the nights get cold, the blew out the candle next to her.

"Do you even know how to take care of yourself? Geez," he scoffed grabbing his pillow and went back on the opposite side of the bed and laid back on the floor.