Backwards

"How was the cluster fuck down at the docks?" Azula walked over to Zuko and Katara as they made it back to the palace. Mai was at her side.

"Oh it was fine? Miscommunication and just some guy being a jerk," Katara was holding onto zukos arm as he held the door open for her as well.

"The chiefs are understanding though, they said to thank you and father for the hospitality," Zuko kept his eyes on his sister as he avoided acknowledging Mai.

"What even happened? Seemed like lots of fighting?" Mai scrunched up her nose confused.

"They wanted to know who attacked their princess but we handled it," Katara smiled, taking a step closer to Zuko so their shoulders where against each other.

Azula grinned at the body language as she found it amusing, she loved the tension in the air that radiated off of the two girls. She looked at her brother and he shook his head back, easily reading what was behind her eyes.

"So since You two are husband and wife, will you be sharing a room now?" Azula hummed.

"Uhh I don't... do we?" Katara asked looking at Zuko wide eyes.

"No, you get to keep your room, you deserve privacy kat," Zuko shook his head.

She smiled relieved, they may be close friends and accepting their marriage but she didn't want to lose her privacy. She was happy Zuko understood.

"How's your wounds?" Mai asked Zuko.

"Healed completely," he lied.

They stared at each other but there was something different. Mai seemed different. Sadder, actually concerned, genuine, it made Zuko feel sick almost to his stomach, it was unsettling and made him nervous.

Mai pursed her lips when Zuko whispered in Kataras ear for only her to hear. She looked back nodding and the two started to walk away.

"Tell father the water tribe was handled and sent off," Zuko rasped as they went through the door back outside.

Zuko closed the door all the way behind them and inhaled a shaky breath, he closed his eyes but Katara pulled him along.

"I want you to stay close," Zuko whispered to her as they were side by side again.

"With us married, I'm worried, and who knows if the assassin is still close," he looked down at her as Katara stayed calm, she glanced over her shoulder seeing Mai again.

"And black sun is just as close, stay on your toes," Zuko glanced at mai as well unsure.

Katara nodded but another caught her eyes. Her heart sank to her stomach seeing Jet. He looked at her and motioned to the side. She gulped not liking this already.

"I'm going to grab something from my room real quick, you gonna be okay?" Katara kept her hand on zukos arm.

"I uh yea, I'll catch up with you in a minute," Zuko looked at her with a reassuring smile.

Katara nodded slowly and walked off past jet, he waited to make sure Mai or Zuko wasn't looking before he followed her through the palace.

Zuko ran a hand through his hair with a heavy sigh before looking at Mai.

"Can we talk?" Mai asked.

"Why?" Zuko fought the urge to look down at the ground and kept his head up.

"Because you almost died and I realized I have a lot to say still," Mai kept her arms crossed.

"I didn't almost die, it was a small attack," Zuko waved her off but she grabbed his wrist.