Old friends

"I haven't seen Hahn in over a year now, he left six months after our wedding," Yue sat next to Zuko as he ate dinner with the water tribe family with Katara on his other side who was oddly quiet.

"He was talking about starting a family as soon as he got back," she blushed deeply as Zuko raised a brow as he drank soup from the bowl.

"You already want to start a family?" Zuko asked curiously and she shrugged.

"I'm afraid to since my birth was so risky," she mumbled so her father didn't hear.

"You don't love him still?" Zuko whispered back to her as Katara kept her eyes down but listened.

"No.. I hate to say it but I don't, I did it for my people though, I'll deal with it," Yue pursed her lips and Zuko nodded.

"I understand, when the wars over you'll be welcome to the fire nation any time," Zuko nudged her a little and she giggled.

"It's warm right?" Yue looked at him smiling.

"A little warmer than the oasis, I'm sure Aang would love to see you again," Zuko whispered in her ear and Yue nodded hopeful but sad at the same time.

"I still can't forget that day Zuko," she looked at him and Zuko paused and nodded softly.

"Let's talk private, come on," Zuko offered his hand and she nodded.

"Pardon us father, the prince and I need to speak," Yue bowed to the elders as Katara looked at her betrothed confused but he was already gone.

"Yue," Zuko turned to her as they were alone outside the dining area.

"When the eclipse hits in four months, I'm sending a ship to the northern water tribe with Aang and my uncle, I don't think they'd be safe at the earth kingdom unless it was omashu but even then Bumi isn't in charge," he inhaled deeply and she held her hands behind her back.

"I've gotten more into my political side of my tribe, I'll make it happen Zuko," she nodded seriously.

"Are you okay otherwise? How's your family?" Yue touched his arm gently and he looked away shaking his head.

"I'm taking the throne as soon as Katara and I get married, I know she's going to hate me but with me having a wife and a better chance to start my own bloodline I have more reason to take his place, to challenge him to an Agni kai," Zuko swallowed a lump in his throat.

"Look who wants to start a family now?" Yue smirked.

"Not for-for a while, but being the only one married in my family-" "I know, you wouldn't do anything to that poor girl," Yue stopped him seeing he was flustered.

"The women in the healing hut still talk about you, it's hard to forget about the fire bender that fit in here so well , even some children ask when your coming back," Yue hugged him tightly knowing he doesn't get this kind of touch at home.

"You'll make a great queen," Zuko smiled into her shoulder.

They never had romantic feelings for each other, it's always been platonic. But they both knew if Yue wasn't married they'd be marrying each other instead, they've talked about it before through letters, and they'd agreed they'd both be willing to do so if that meant peace. Until arnook spoke to Hakoda before anything could happen. But they were both happy to stay friends.

"Is it weird that I hate the cold but always look forward to coming here?" Zuko chuckled and Yue giggled.

"Super weird," Yue pushed him away with her petite hands.

"How about You and Katara stay here tonight? And tomorrow I'll have the day with her to try getting her not to hate you so much?" Yue held his rough hands against her soft ones.

"Good luck, she'll probably love being widowed," Zuko groaned with his head back.

"If i can see the little shy sixteen year old dork I met you ass, I can get her to see your not all terrible," Yue squeezed his hands smiling brightly.

"You use to be so angry it's just adorable now," she ruffled his hair and he rolled his eyes.

"Will you take a walk with me prince Zuko? The moon is coming up and we have so much to talk about," Yue held his arm smiling as Zuko placed his hand over her cold ones to warm her up a little. Also knowing she'd try sticking her cold hands on him sooner than later.

"We're getting you gloves and your jacket before we go," Zuko sighed a little as she laughed.

"I can't believe it's been two years and you still leave your hair in your eyes," she reached up to push his hair away.

"Yue please we're 18, I can handle my own hair," Zuko said flatly as she laughed.

She looked behind her knowing another pair of ears were listening to them but she didn't care. She understood.

Zuko walked into the spare room he was offered seeing one large bed, Katara was combing out her hair as she sat on the edge.

"Your staying in here?" Zuko asked talking off his poncho that he was given by the women in the healing hut.

"Yep," she popped the 'p' sarcastically as she didn't look thrilled.

"I'll sleep on the floor," he shrugged grabbing a pillow and one of the blankets on the bed.

"Not going to spend the rest of your night with the princess?" Katara mumbled getting a knot out of her hair.

"Wha.. wait, are you jealous?" Zuko looked at her with a small amusing look in his eyes.

"Jealous?!" Katara yelled wide eyes.

"Your jealous I'm friends with Yue?" Zuko sat on the bed smirking at her.

"I'm not jealous your friends with her!" Katara blushed brightly as she looked back st him on the bed.

"You are, which part for?" Zuko teased but ducked her hand when she tried to shove him off the bed.

"Come on kat, what's bothering you?" Zuko chuckled as she turned brighter red at the nick name.

"You don't fucking act like yourself here, who the hell are you?" She huffed standing up with her hands in fists.

"No? How should I act?" Zuko quirked his brow as he looked at her.

"I-I-I don't know, you were so serious and angry at the fire nation, now your here and hugging, laughing, you smiled Zuko! You have never smiled!" She motioned to him in disbelief.

"I.. it's complicated," Zuko blushed softly looking down.

"The first time i was here was when the fire nation tried to invade, the second time Yoy know was with Aang and my uncle, and-and um I was sick then, like really sick again, Yue helped take care of me even if she's not a bender because I'm her age," Zuko explained softly.

"I just like it here, I felt comfortable here when I was sixteen, um.. I never had a real friend before, even during my banishment," he pursed his lips.

"So am I meeting the real Zuko now or is this just for now?" Katara sighed crossing her arms.

"I guess you'll just have to stick around to find out, your smart," Zuko shrugged. Honestly, he didn't even know who himself was, he was trying to figure it out still.