Fevers

Katara walked up to where the crew was with the captain steering, it was the highest part of the ship where they could go, the morning after the harsh storm was quiet and everyone acted as if nothing happened. She went to the captain quietly as she noticed Zuko was no where to be seen.

"Have you seen the prince, captain?" Katara asked gently as he looked at her.

"He hasn't left his room, I believe the medic is with him," captain Jee told her in a low tone for only her to hear.

"Wait is he injured?" Katara asked confused.

"I'm not allowed to say but I'm sure they'd allow his betrothed to see him," he smiled a little as Katara pursed her lips. She didn't care of he was injured but the warning Zuko gave her... she shouldn't be alone on the ship.

Katara walked down the halls to zukos room as some soldiers passed by her but started chuckling and whispering to each other as Katara suddenly felt self conscious being alone. She knocked on the door she was greeting immediately by the medic.

"Princess katara, how may I help you?" He asked surprised as Katara could see Zuko in bed behind him with his back facing them.

"I'd like to speak to the prince," she said calmly and he hesitated but finally nodded leaving the room for the two to be alone.

"Are you okay? The captain said you haven't left your room," Katara closed the door behind her as zuko didn't bother to move.

"Zuko?" She walked over.

"I'll be up in a few, hold on," he groaned and finally sat up. His hair was a mess as he seemed paler than usual, cold sweat ran down the side of his face as he looked exhausted. She saw a burn mark on his arm as well.

"Your sick?" She asked confused.

"Uh.. yea a little, it happens, I'll be fine in a little," he coughed into his hand and shivered.

"Wow prince of the fire nation gets colds after a storm," she snorted teasing him but he covered his mouth.

"Yep.. that's me," Zuko cracked a small smile at her.

"Please get out though, I'm going to throw up and I know you don't want to be in the same room," he rasped getting up quickly.

Katara immediately grabbed a bucket in the corner and got it to him just as Zuko hurled into it with a weak cough.

"Hey sit down, your going to fall," Katara grabbed the pitcher of water from the side as Zuko coughed aggressively as he sat on his bed.

"Sorry," he whispered rubbing his face and she handed him a cup of water.

"I'm use to taking care of the ill, it's kind of instinct," Katara grabbed a cloth and soaked it in water for him.

"I don't want to keep you here so you can go katara," Zuko whispered as he held his head with his eyes closed. She paused for a moment and looked at him.

"You have a fever probably," she told him instead.

"Yep," he agreed.

"Is it because of the storm?" She asked placing the cloth on the back of his neck as he stayed sitting up.

"Being in cold rain, stress, I just get sick easier sometimes, it happens a lot when I travel, with the fire nation always warm I'm usually fine at home," he explained as Katara adjusted his shirt a little, his skin was on fire but he shivered still.

"Usually?" Katara questioned.

"I use to get such a lot when I was little, I was lucky I made it past five years old apparently, my father calls me weak for it... he thought I was suppose to die when I was an infant cause I got sick so much," he pursed his lips a little.

"It happened last time I came to the north, so it's not so surprising," Zuko huffed laying back down to cover up, he huffed some fire into his hands and rubbed them together as he shuttered a little.

"That... that's a terrible thing for a father to say," Katara pursed her lips a little as he shrugged.

"I was lucky to be born I guess," he closed his eyes.

"So you've been to the North Pole before?" Katara changed the conversation.

"Twice, first time was as a prince, second time was a refugee, I think I'm on good terms with Pakku still, he likes my uncle," Zuko peaked an eye open as his cheeks were flushed with the blanket up against his nose. He seemed out of it almost.

"Why? They would've killed you," Katara cocked her head to the side as she brushed his bangs off his sweaty forehead.

"They tried, but I came with Aang the second time," he mumbled tiredly.

"Aang?"

"The avatar, but that's where he got captured... I want to thank him still, but I haven't seen him in a while," Zuko leaned towards her touch with a soft hum at the feeling of her touch, it was cool to his skin.

"Your.. but you captured the avatar when he was..." Katara tried putting it together as he fell asleep against her hand.

Aang? First name base? The world knows the avatar was captured by the banished prince years ago, the North Pole was destroyed a little until Zuko caught him and took him back to the fire nation as a prisoner. But why would Zuko say he wanted to thank him? He put the worlds hope away in a cell.

"Zuko?" She whispered as he was passed out.

"Get some rest," Katara sighed sitting on the floor next to him, she didn't trust herself leaving the room. Just in case.

"You have to learn to defend against fire, not dodge it," pakku crossed his arms as iroh sat on the side with sixteen year old Zuko standing his ground.

"I'm trying!" The twelve years old monk whined.

"I'm just starting with the basics, just use the water as a shield," Zuko smirked at Aang a little and punched fire at him. Aang yelped and bended snow up to block the fire.

"Like that?!" Aang gasped seeing he did it.

"No," pakku frowned.

"If a fire bending prince can find his place in a water tribe, then the avatar can learn water bending, again!" Pakku barked as Zuko kicked a wave of fire at the boy.