Celebration

"Your dad wasn't serious?" Katara asked as they sat by the pond together.

"I don't think he's ever made a joke," Zuko laid in the grass with his eyes closed.

"Zuko if he finds out-" "don't talk about it if you don't want him to find out, only time we talked about everything we were completely alone," he told her calmly and she nodded pursing her lips. Walls will always have ears.

"I wanna do something, I'm bored," Zuko rolled over to his stomach and pushed himself up.

"Anything on your mind?" She asked smirking a little.

Zuko thought for a moment. He looked at her softly and held his hand out to her.

"Wanna go out tonight, like a date for one last fuck you as singles? It's weird we haven't before becoming husband and wife," he offered with light blush across his face.

Katara paused for a moment as she looked at him. He had a small smile she could tell it was almost a joke, almost.

"Sure, I was wondering when you'd by me dinner before we get married," she smiled back taking his hand to get up.

"Platonic?" Zuko grinned as he pulled her up with one hand.

"Isn't it already?" She asked standing a few inches from him.

"We've already platonically gone to parties together, platonically snuck out, platonically shared a bed already, going to be platonically married, what's more than a little date?" He shrugged ignoring the tightening in his chest.

"We're not sneaking out tonight are we? Last time you..." Kataras smile turned into a worried frown.

he grabbed her shoulder and pulled her close. "We absolutely are," he whispered close to her ear.

They agreed to sneak from Kataras room since it's more than likely less people to barge in. Zuko walked to her room with a bag that had separate clothes and a hat to hide himself in the commoners village.

"Where are you going?" Mai asked seeing him closing his bedroom door.

"To Kataras room?" Zuko said like it was obvious.

"Your really going through with the wedding then..?" She asked quietly.

"Yea, I am," he told her with no hesitation.

"See you at the ceremony tomorrow Mai," Zuko sighed walking from her without looking back. He felt moved on from her, not relying on her happiness to be happy himself, he felt freer being able to walk away from what they use to have.

He knocked on the door and Katara opened it immediately with a smile.

"I heard your getting married tomorrow," Zuko smirked down at her and she burst out laughing pulling him in the room and locked the door behind her as Mai heard the doors locked and the two's giggles behind the door.

"Here," Zuko pulled out a panda Lily from the bag and handed it to her. "A gift,"

Katara took it and blushed softly at the gesture of kindness. She really could've had a terrible human she could've been stuck in a marriage with but instead she was going to be with an amazing friend. She was grateful for who Zuko was in the end.

"Thank you Zuko, I love panda Lily's," she smelt the flower gently and set it on her night stand.

"I'm going to change then we can go," Zuko told her going to the side bathroom of her bedroom with the bag of clothes.

It didn't take long before Zuko came out in more neutral tone clothes and a hint of red instead of his nicer silks he wore in the palace. He handed her a scarf to hide her mother's necklace under while they were in the city.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Let's go," Katara beamed brightly.

Katara walked ahead of Zuko through the streets that were full of lights and surrounded by the smell of meat and flavorful foods. The red lanterns lite the streets with kids running around with sparklers.

Zuko went to the side as Katara was looking around as he grabbed some food he didn't get often enough behind the palace. Fire flakes for him and a dragon fruit juice for Katara. She ran over excited to be around life again but he handed her the drink.

"Oh this dragon stuff! Fruit and shit," Katara sipped the straw happily.

"Dragon fruit, you were close," he made a face but smiled with his own snack.

"You got some weird fruit here," she smiled back.

Zuko rolled his eyes but heard her gasp when the fire works started and lite up the sky above them. She jumped at the loud explosion but she watched the colors in awe.

"I wonder what they're celebrating," Zuko looked up calmly.

"Celebrating the wedding tomorrow!" A woman heard them as she had a sparkler.

"Really? The prince and princesses wedding?" Katara grabbed zukos arms as she looked over his shoulder.

"Yes, the eldest of the royal family's children is to be wedded, and another step closer to the war ending," she nodded before walking away as Zuko gulped a little.

"Wow I didn't know they would care so much about a wedding, that has to make you feel special," Katara nudged him a little before sipping her drink again.

He nodded softly but he didn't know how he felt about it. He hoped more for celebrations and joy like this for his people and he was glad they didn't hate him but would it last forever? After the eclipse would they still celebrate for him? He didn't want his people to adore him like a god but he didn't want them to hate him... he wanted their respect.

"Come on, let's celebrate with them, I'll buy you a wedding gift," Zuko offered his arm to her.

"Really? Like what?" Katara wrapped her arm around his and walked with her betrothed.

"Anything you want," he whispered in her ear and she blushed a little pushing his face away as he chuckled a little.

But she stayed wrapped around his arm as they walked through the city. Just as friends one more night.