Chapter 107- I'm trying

HOBI POV:

The sound of the door opening has my head lifting from the sofa, fingers pausing in their slow trail over the photos Tae had taken of    (Y/N).

Eyes tearing away from the sight of a face hidden by a camera, small glimpses of her features, hiding away the full sight of her. I couldn't help but wonder... had there been a reason she was so hesitant to let herself be photographed?

Was it to prevent her from being found out?

Was it because it had been sketches that had gotten the truth out in the first place?

Jiminie's face is tearstained when it peeks round the doorway but despite the puffiness to his eyes there's a tired, sort of relieved smile on his lips as he steps in.

"Is everything okay Min-ah?" I ask, straightening up, fingers still curled around the photo.

From the floor, Tae turns, the glossy sheath of photos he'd taken with (Y/N) sprawled out in front of him, face deep in thought, eyes flickering to face Jiminie. Frowning when he spots dried tear tracks.

"Okay... I... I saw (Y/N) today. At the park." He says softly, voice a low hushed whisper.

In his arms Tannie wriggles, yapping happily at the mention of her name, wriggling until Jiminie hyung bends down to let him go and he scampers over to Tae, pawing at his crossed legs and pushing himself up onto his hind legs.

My eyes flutter, filled with the mental image of the pain and hurt and agony that had been gouged deep into her features, remembered seeing those raw feelings fade as she crumpled, working herself into a panic attack as she spoke; so assured that we hated her.

It makes a lump in my throat grow.

"How was she?" I ask, voice low and wavery.

"Terrified. And so, so worn down. She... she moved away from me. She moved to get away from me." he admits, voice hoarse even as he takes Tae's outstretched hand and sinks down to his knees, fingers carding distractedly through Tannie's fur.

The tightness in my throat grows.

Had we made her feel terrified? As if she wasn't safe around us?

"Did she? Did she leave?" I ask.

Hurt coats my tongue, drips from it. 

"She stayed. For the smallest amount she stayed...she stayed." Jiminie whispers, eyes flickering with relief and shining hope.

"And..." Tae presses, urgency in his voice.

"And she doesn't want to meet us yet... she can't bring herself to. She thinks we're stumbling into this still blind, she thinks that we're still clueless and not realising... not understanding the gravity of it all." He adds, dejected and hurt.

"Why?" I ask.

Their heads turn to me.

My fingers tighten around the picture and I push up off the couch.

"Why? Why is she always pushing herself away? Why is it so hard to accept that we love her and want her... why is it so hard? Why is this all so hard?" I ask, voice turning bitter, photo fluttering out of my hand as I let go, watching the image of a hidden girl fall away.

Why was it so hard to let us in?

Why was it so hard to believe that she was more than worthy of being loved?

"Hobi hyung... she's been alive for... centuries. We don't know what sort of people she's met, what sort of people have caused her to be so guarded... we can't expect to know. It's been days since we've found out...it's been lifetimes for her." Tae hyung hedges carefully.