Prologue

Behind every story there's a shred of truth. Behind every fable is a lesson. Everything we take and believe to be fiction might not be so, for every story mixes in the realities of the world with the allure of fantasy- so how can we truly differentiate what's real and what isn't. Eons of stories have passed down, changing, and shifting slightly- sometimes taking on a different role as it floats down to our eyes and ears in the present but the core of it all remains the same.

Myths. Stories and tales of times past. But what if the people from those stories existed? What if there was such a world where such fantastical beings did live amongst us? Would we even know? Would we be able to realise?

And at the heart of that comes those tied to the Ocean's service.

Sirens. Figures of hauntingly enchanting beauty and possessors of the sweetest, deadliest voices. Whose presence alone is temptation in its existence. Whose figure is enough to allure the ensnared into their watery web. Beautiful weapons of destruction, who no-one can resist, who no-one has survived an encounter with and lived to tell the tale.

But behind it all, deep down at their core is someone whose mortality was taken away from them, whose lives were ripped away from their grasp, whose decisions and freedom vanished as they became shackled to the Ocean. Deep down in their centre are people trapped, silently screaming for help but no-one hears them, forced to bear the burden of their curse, forced to live a life that they hadn't even envisioned in their cruellest nightmares.

Sirens are slaves to the Ocean. Bound with a debt that grants them immortality until their service is over, shackled to the responsibilities of being the ones to provide sustenance to the Ocean- in a vicious never-ending circle of life and death.

Being a siren means that you slowly lose yourself, forget what it means to be human- slowly merging into that image that stories have always painted them as- vicious, beautiful monsters and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Freak accidents are what people call them. Boats and ships vanishing in the middle of the ocean and no trace of life being left behind. Newspapers splattered with images of the ones who've been lost, who've vanished without a trace, stories of grief and mourning. Everyone believes them to be cruel twists of nature, fate snatching them away from their loved ones.

There's few that know the truth.

Few know that this all stems from the siren's song.

(A PROLOGUE FOR YOU ALL WHILST CURSED FATE FINISHES UP! LET ME KNOW YOUR FIRST THOUGHTS AND IDEAS ABOUT HOW YOU THINK THIS STORY WILL PAN  OUT! NEW READERS WELCOME AND PREVIOUS ONES- WELCOME BACK! I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS JOURNEY OF SLOWBURN ANGSTY ROMANCE! LET THE STORY BEGIN!)

Stay safe loves!

Borahae! 💜💜💜

PurpleQueenie <3