Burgertime

We are on the road for a while when my stomach growls loudly. I left so suddenly that I didn't even take time for breakfast. It is now noon and I am sure that my stomach will not rest until I have eaten something. "Can we take a short break somewhere? I'm starving" I lean forward between the two front seats and wait for an answer. "Sure. I saw a burger restaurant on the way here. We should be there in five minutes," suggests Bucky. I love burgers. Is that something that I liked before? I smile and nod in agreement. In fact, we turn into the restaurant parking lot five minutes later. We get out and I want to go in when I notice that the other two aren't moving. "Are you coming?" I ask impatiently. I'm really damn hungry. "Looks pretty crowded in there. How about I go in and get something to eat and we eat in the car?" suggests Sam. I look in and actually I can't see a single free table through the window. "Ok" I shrug my shoulders and go back to the two of them. The main thing is that I get something to eat soon. I get moody when I'm hungry. "Ok, what do you want to eat?" asks Sam. "I definitely want fries. And cheese and bacon on my burger." "Just a cheeseburger for me, please, Sam" Bucky chuckles when he sees how excited I am at the idea of ​​my burger. Sam goes inside and we both stay behind in silence. "I can't believe how nervous I am." Why did I say that now? No idea. I mean i'm nervous. Damn nervous. But he doesn't necessarily have to know that. "There is no reason for you to be nervous. Everyone will be very happy that you are back." He smiles encouragingly at me. "That's exactly what makes me nervous. The people there will know me and I have absolutely no idea who these people are. What if it doesn't work? What if I still can't remember anything after this week?" I admit my concerns. I have no idea why it is suddenly so important to me that I remember. "We'll see what the week brings. But even if it doesn't work out, I'll always be there for you. And the others will always be there for you too. We were and will always be a family," he takes my hands and i allow him to squeeze them reassuringly. "Thanks Bucky." Suddenly I feel really bad thinking about how I reacted last night. Apparently I wasn't a ruthless killer before, like I am now. So he had to assume that I was putting myself in danger. And when you think about that, it was actually really cute how he protected me. "I'm sorry, by the way," he looks at me questioningly. "The thing about your arm" I point to his metal arm. "Already forgotten. Although you really surprised me with it. But thanks to you I now know that this thing is not firmly attached to me after all" he gives me that radiant smile again and starts to laugh. "Burgertime" calls out Sam as he happily walks towards us. "Oh my god that looks good" my mouth watered at the sight. We get in the car and start eating our burgers. "Can I get some fries?" asks Sam. I hold out the cardboard box with the french fries and laugh and shake my head. "Why didn't you just buy some yourself?" "Because I just thought that I don't want any. But now I want some." He laughs and hands the box back to me. "Do you want some too?" I ask Bucky and he takes some out of the box with a smile. All of this confuses me again completely. I'm still nervous because I don't know what to expect. But I still feel relaxed. This feels so normal somehow. It feels like it should be. And whether or not I will remember my previous life, Sam and Bucky are just kind of nice people. After we have eaten, Bucky brings the tray that Sam used to take the burgers out back inside. "Nervous?" asks Sam as we sit in the car in silence. "Damn nervous" I admit. "Don't worry. It'll all be fine." He smiles at me through the rearview mirror and I hope he's right. "Ok, let's go home," says Bucky when he's back. Sam starts the car and we drive on. Here we go. I hate it when I don't know what to expect.