Show me what was on your mind

The drive back to the mainland is short and beautiful. The wind blows through my hair and the water splashes lightly on my legs. I snuggle up to Bucky the entire drive and inhale his masculine scent. I'm almost inclined to ask him if we can just drive around for a while, but on the other hand I'm also curious about the small town where we go shopping. We park in the small port where we started the yacht yesterday. From there we go towards the street. Just as I'm about to go to the car, Bucky stops me.

Bucky: We don't need the car.

Michelle: Not?

Bucky: No. A few meters further is a small town with a few shops. We can walk

Michelle: Ok

I link my arm with him and we stroll down the street. The little town is gorgeous. Absolutely idyllic, houses are lined up in soft yet bright colors. Everywhere there are flower pots planted with lavender, oleander and cistus. Small olive and lemon trees stand in front of some entrances. Several market stalls are set up on a large square. Suddenly a memory pops into my mind. Bucky and I met at a market the morning after I first met him. At that time I was still so scared that I just left him there. I'm almost certain that he already suspected at the time that something was wrong with me. But I am not sure.

Michelle: Bucky?

Bucky: What's up baby?

Michelle: Do you remember the morning we met at the market?

Bucky's face hardens for a split second before he looks at me lovingly. He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. 

Bucky: Yes. I knew then that you would change my life forever. 

Michelle: Even though I just left you? 

 Bucky: Yes. 

 He gently grabs my wrists and brings my hands to his lips.

Bucky: I knew then that I had to protect you. At the time, I just didn't know what I had to protect you from. But your reaction that morning made me suspect someone wasn't treating you well.

Michelle: I guess I still owe you that coffee date you invited me on back then.

Grinning, he hugs me and kisses me.

Bucky: You don't owe me anything Mrs. Barnes.

At some point we pass a small boutique. A beautiful summer dress hangs in the shop window. It is very short and has a low-cut neckline. It is dark blue on the shoulders. The color runs down in a delicate floral pattern and ends at about the navel level, the rest of the dress is white. Bucky seems to have noticed that something in the boutique has piqued my interest as he walks up to the door and holds it open for me. We go in and are greeted by a friendly looking elderly lady.

Saleswoman: Belle bonne journée (Hello)

I have no idea what she just said, but I suspect it was a greeting. If I had known beforehand that we were going to France, I could have learned at least a few words in French. I smile nicely and am about to leave the store again when Bucky starts to speak.

Bucky: Bonjour Madame. Ma femme est intéressée par la robe à la fenêtre. Pouvez-vous nous montrer où le trouver en magasin? (Hello ma'am. My wife is interested in the dress in the window. Can you show us where to find it in store?)

Saleswoman: Oui. Viens avec moi. (Yes. Come with me.)

After showing us where this and many other dresses are, she leaves us alone and takes care of other customers. 

Michelle: Since when do you speak French so well? 

Bucky: That was also part of the preparations.