chapter nineteen

I put in the code to the front door and allowed Felix and Veronica inside first, walking inside after them and shutting the door behind me. I dropped the bags I had in my hands and wrestled with my coat for a moment before throwing it to the floor.

"Nice one," Veronica said as she pointed at me and laughed.

"You fought with that jacket like it was trying to kill you," Felix laughed as he took off his shoes. "Is Minho home right now?"

"Definitely. I basically forced him to take time off work because he'd been working so much so now he kind of just chills," I chuckled. "He's gotten a lot clingier lately by the way but you already know I like that shit because I am too."

"It is so weird to hear you talk about him so casually," Veronica said, shaking her head at us.

We all turned around to exit the foyer and I asked, "Where should this conversation be had?"

"I don't know, it's your house," Felix chuckled.

I heard Minho and I's bedroom door open and I decided not to warn Veronica ahead of time, looking forward to seeing her reaction when he came downstairs. I stood in front of her so he'd be out of view when he approached and asked her, "How much are you comfortable with sharing?"

"I'll share it all if it means taking him down," Veronica said.

Minho walked up to us and crossed his arms, "Hey, what's up?"

Veronica immediately began to fangirl, "Holy fuck. Hi. I am such a huge fan. Holy shit. I think I'm going to pass out."

Minho looked at me sideways for a moment before looking back at her, "Yeah?"

Veronica began jumping up and down much to Felix and I's dismay, "I've been dreaming about this since college."

"I promise she's not always like this," I said to him.

"I'd hope not," Minho said.

Veronica calmed herself down and fixed her hair before approaching him with her hand out, "I am so sorry. Hi, I'm Veronica."

Minho put his hand out to shake hers hesitantly and slowly, "Hi..."

"Veronica and I went to college together, we graduated in the same class," I said to him.

Minho's hand went limp, "Oh. So I'm just a piece of shit, then?"

"She's just excited to meet you. We ran in the same circle, our people were fans of you," I said, resting my elbow on his shoulder. I whispered in his ear as quietly as possible, "There's a situation and it's bad."

Minho gave me a knowing glance before speaking, "Kitchen, anyone?"

We followed him out and Felix and I gave each other weary looks, the entire situation blowing both of our minds. We each sat down on barstools at the island table and I was the first to speak when saying, "This is fucking awkward. Let's cut the shit. Veronica and I don't really..."

"We kind of don't like each other? Sort of?"

"I don't know how we feel about each other now but we certainly did not get along at M.I.T."

"I caused you eternal pain and suffering for four years straight."

"What the fuck is going on?" Minho asked.

"There's a lot happening here," Felix said, taking a deep breath. "Can we stop for a second and talk about why we're even here?"

"Yeah, this is weird."