chapter thirteen

"You're making me surprise them? Really?" I scoffed softly. "I mean, I'll do it but I've been in a situation like this before and it's pretty nerve-wracking."

Avalon laughed, the sound of the music from the club blaring through her phone microphone, "Just come inside in like two minutes. We're by the bar, you'll find us quick."

I'm getting a strange sense of déjà vu.

"Gotcha," I said, hanging up the phone afterward. I opened to my camera and watched myself as I removed my hat. I tousled with my hair a bit before deciding to take off face mask ahead of time, not bothering to disguise myself any longer.

I may as well get it over with ahead of time.

I headed for the door after spending a moment standing with my head lowered. Using my privilege to my advantage, I cut the line and winked at the bouncer, cutting behind someone else as he opened the door for them. I pretended to be on the phone to avoid potential conversations with passerby's and smiled at those who waved at me in recognition. I made my way to the bar and spotted Nelson, Kimi, Niyah, and Avalon seated at a circular table with a chair open.

Do I just go up there and sit with them?

What if they think I'm weird?

Fuck it.

Without any hesitation, I approached the table and sat down, not bothering with any introductions as I waited to be noticed amidst their heavy debate about..

Me.

They're talking about me.

What the fuck?

I interrupted the conversation, "What are we talking about?"

Avalon gasped, "Holy shit, I forgot you were coming."

"You were the one who invited me, we were just on the phone!" I exclaimed jokingly. "Do you have the memory of a goldfish?"

Avalon leaned over and gave me a sloppy hug while everyone else stared, "I'm sorryyyy I'm just really drunk right now."

"How's you guys go from barely interacting to this?" Niyah laughed.

"I think I'm about to burst a blood vessel," Nelson joked. "Why would you invite our boss without telling us? That's so awkward for us."

"I feel like I need to catch up on how fucked up you guys are, jeez," I chuckled, pulling the dab pen Minho leant me for the night out of my pocket and taking a long drag before blowing it at the ceiling. "So, we're talking about me. Don't be fake, catch me up."

"You are way different than I thought you'd be but I'm not surprised," Kimi said with a small smirk.

"It was nothing baaaad," Avalon said, slurring her words. "We were just talking about..."

"You can't even say it," I remarked with a grin.

"Nobody can decide on if your relationship with Minho is for publicity or not," Nelson spoke bluntly.

I stared at all of them in an attempt to psyche them out, "Are you serious right now? How could you even ask that?"

Avalon became defensive, "We don't mean it like that-,"

I cut her off, "Oh my god, I'm just messing with you guys. Lighten up a bit. You guys are supposed to be drunk, act like it."

"Yeah we're drunk but not drunk enough to not be confused as to why Avalon thought it'd be a good idea to invite you without telling us," Kimi chuckled.