chapter two

"Being in this building gives me the creeps," I shuddered, grimacing as I looked around the main lobby of Anaïs.

"Yeah, no kidding," Felix mumbled, locking arms with me as we headed toward the elevator.

"I wonder how people are going to feel about seeing me here," I said to him under my breath. "It's been six months."

"I don't know how people are going to feel either, you're a celebrity all on your own now," Felix said, looking over at me with a proud smile.

When we reached the elevator, I let go of his arm and reached out to press one of the buttons. I turned back around to face him and said, "I feel like I'm going to either shit myself, puke, or both."

"Calm down, it's not like someone's gonna get out of their seat and beat the shit out of you," Felix chuckled.

The elevator opened and Felix and I stepped inside, immediately heading for the back wall. I turned to face Felix and said to him, "I'd get out of my seat and beat the shit out of me."

Felix laughed at this, "Shut up, oh my god. Don't you think it's a bit self-centered to assume that all eyes are going to be on you when we hit Changbin and Minho's floor?"

"Yeah, of course I do," I mumbled, ignoring him as I checked my hair in my phone camera. "I don't know why you're acting like this is new."

"It's just weird to see you being yourself, I don't know," Felix shrugged. "I was genuinely under the impression for a while I wasn't gonna get my best friend back."

"Well, get used to it," I chuckled, then shoving my phone back in my pocket and blowing a kiss to the security camera in the elevator.

Felix stared at me dumbfound, "Really? You're doing that here?"

"I resisted doing it every single time I came into work, this is karmic retribution," I joked.

"Yeah, sure it is," Felix scoffed softly, then beginning to bounce his feet up and down, "Why does this elevator take so long? Ugh."

"This was literally how I'd spend like at least an hour of every day I worked here," I chuckled. "You know, I used to tell people that Minho overworked me."

"Yeah, I remember hearing that. Is that not the case, or something?" Felix asked me.

"Two reasons," I began, "One, I didn't want people to think that he was taking it easy on me because we were secretly dating. Two, I didn't want to make anyone feel stupid because I completed tasks so fast."

"And now you gladly make people feel stupid and you get paid to do it," Felix laughed. "Where's your next lecture, by the way? It's always some place fancy."

"Do you not remember me telling you?" I asked him, tilting my head. "It's at M.I.T. You know, my dream school and alma mater. I've been talking about it nonstop for three weeks..."

Felix shook his head, "Ah, sorry. I know how excited you are, I just spaced. You know I'm a bit hungover."

"As if you wearing sunglasses in a building doesn't make it obvious enough," I chuckled.

"I'm not trying to hide it," Felix shrugged. "I'm just stating a fact."

The elevator door opened and we stepped out, walking alongside one another as we headed for the offices. Passing by the cubicles and spotting Mariana out of the corner of my eye, I winked at her with a callous smirk.

"Who's that?" Felix whispered to me when we turned a corner.

"That gremlin Mariana," I scoffed softly. "I wonder why she's still here.."