chapter thirty-one

Tuesday

Why did I decide to take the decide to take the elevator again?

Oh, I thought it'd be quicker.

Instead of being faster it's just awkward because I'm standing in here with people that I don't work with directly.

I feel like a social pariah but I know they're just too intimidated to look at me.

Am I that scary? I'm the shortest guy standing in here.

This is why I take the stairs. Less people, less feeling like I'm being shunned in my own work place by people that I haven't seen since I interviewed them.

I need to be more involved on the lower floors. Fuck me.

Is this purgatory?

The elevator door opened and I found myself to be running over to Seungmin and Changbin when I spotted them stood whispering to each other near the entrance.

I embraced Seungmin first and patted his head as I hugged him, "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too," Seungmin said to me in a hushed tone. He pulled away and said, "This place is fucking beautiful."

"I expected that it'd look good because it's you and obviously you had a hand in what to do with the place but this is..." Changbin trailed off.

"Better than Anaïs? Yeah. I'll say it," Seungmin laughed. "I'm keen on making the switch. In fact, I'm excited about it. I'll take a demotion, I'll take less pay. Just get me the fuuuuck out of there."

"Who said you're getting demoted?" I asked, tilting my head in confusion. "Changbin, was this a concern for you?"

"That's why I was hesitant. I don't want to lose a position like that, the money's too good," Changbin said. "Seungmin can take less pay because his boyfriend's about to become a doctor or whatever. That's not the case for me."

"Walk with me," I said, waving for them to follow me to the elevator as I began walking. They caught up with me and I chuckled at them, "I pay nearly triple what that sorry ass motherfucker pays. He's cheap. I invest in the well-being of everyone that works with me here. I took notes when working with him on everything to not do when I did this myself."

"You're kidding. You're fucking kidding me," Seungmin said as I pressed the button for the elevator.

"No, I'm not," I chuckled, crossing my arms as we waited.

"Has he even been here before?" Changbin asked me. "It's crazy beautiful."

"No. We made an agreement that he'd only have any involvement in my career outside of Genesis. That is until now, I guess. I asked him to stay away, that's the point," I said. "I feel like him seeing it might make him feel.."

"Like shit? Yeah, I'd feel like shit too," Seungmin laughed.

The elevator door opened and we stepped inside with a few others. The door began to close and at the last moment, a hand shoved its' way inside.

The door opened and a frizzy-haired Avalon appeared with a morose expression on her face. I grinned at her, "Avalon, you grace us with your presence. I'd love to hear this story."

"I woke up late," Avalon said, stepping inside of the elevator and making her way to Seungmin, Changbin, and I.

"Sure you did," I smirked at her. "What's the deal?"