chapter one-hundred twelve

Saturday
2:20 pm

"I set you up. Not so obsessed with you, now, am I?"

I sighed in exasperation, looking up at the tall ceiling, "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Braden scoffed softly, "Don't act all shocked like you didn't know this was a possibility. I figured you'd be brighter than that. I can't believe you actually came. You're insane."

Already formulating a plan to handle this situation, I tapped my foot on the floor and found myself smiling when I figured it out, "I'm now confident that I'll be able to hire you after this."

"What? This was supposed to deter you!" Braden exclaimed in frustration.

"You wouldn't've gone through all this trouble to dupe me if you weren't at least a little interested in the job."

"And you wouldn't've gone through all of this trouble if you weren't fucking crazy."

I sighed and turned around, "I am. And I'm proud of it. And in case you're wondering, I already booked a flight back ahead of time knowing this might happen. I'm not stupid."

"No. I wasn't wondering."

I made a face underneath my mask in amusement, "I don't mind going to all of this trouble, you know. It fits perfectly into my plans."

"Aren't you like, crazy famous?"

"Who would I be if I didn't have even an ounce of spare time?"

"My point still stands." Braden huffed.

"I know everything about you but I've only seen your ID pictures and a few family photos. I'm trying to imagine the funny look of frustration on your face but I'm having some difficulty. God, I wish I could see that shit."

"Are you fucking with me right now?"

"What? You don't like that I'm playing your game better than you?"

"You've been messing with me this entire time, haven't you?"

"I find it quite silly that you think you have any power in this situation. I came here to make a point."

For the very first time, Braden no longer sounded like his haughty, arrogant self, "And that is?"

"I can be here, I can be there. I can do whatever I want. I'll get you back, Braden. Don't you worry. I promise you'll regret this."

"Get me back? What does that mean?"

"You'll know in time. Don't even worry about it." I chuckled, "Not until the time comes, at least."

"What? What does that-,"

I hung up on him and sighed with a slight smirk to myself.

Saturday
3:12 pm

I sat down with a sigh, setting my bag down on the floor with my leg intertwined in the strap so nobody could steal it without at least alerting me.