chapter forty-four

Minho rested a hand on my shaking leg to settle me down, "Hey, it's gonna be okay."

"I feel like I'm going to throw up."

"Honey, you'll be fine. What's on your mind specifically?"

"What if I mess up? What if I trip over my words and embarrass myself? What if my accent doesn't sound any good? What if he sees right through me and he just sees the broken little boy inside of me that lost his family?" I shook my head. "We're on this plane for no reason. We should just go to the gravesite and book a flight back after."

Minho grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes, "That is not you. You have worked so hard to become better and stronger than you've ever been. You are untouchable. Even if you slipped over your words, you'd still be a badass. You still overcame. You're still on the other side of the glass."

"I do not want to be laughed at in the face by the guy who killed my family. That would be the most embarrassing thing that could possibly happen to me."

"He can't take anything from you anymore. You have all the power," Minho reassured me quietly. "I bet you could get the guy to kill himself if you said the right thing."

"Minho!" I whisper-exclaimed, slapping his arm.

"Does that not sound appealing?" Minho chuckled.

"I don't know what sounds appealing and what doesn't," I sighed, "I don't know anything right now."

"I'm here for you every step of the way," Minho reminded me. "We're in this together. We're a team."

"Thank you, Minho," I said, resting my head on his shoulder. "I love you."

"I love you too," Minho mumbled, kissing my forehead. "Do you think Veronica is going to be okay?"

"I hope so. I'm paying for her therapy so hopefully she can move on at least a little bit. She's taking more time off work to recuperate. Avalon apologized for being a fucking dick and her and Veronica are good but she still doesn't know what the problem was, thank god. Things will get better. I'm sure of it."

"That's good, that's good," Minho nodded his head. "Are you going to be okay?"

"I know I should feel guilty but I don't. How do you feel?"

"I feel like I was able to do something to protect you and that makes me content. That's something, right?"

"I wish I didn't go over there."

"That may have been one of the best decisions you've ever made."

"Or the worst."

"Imagine what would've happened when she got caught," Minho whispered. "You never know what she would've said. You getting the urge to show up at her apartment was divine fucking intervention."

"Veronica would not snitch on me like that," I whispered back to him. "Even if she did, you know the police would never take her seriously. She'd sound insane claiming a celebrity helped her hide not just one but two bodies."

"You have connections to her. You never know what could happen. We prevented the possibility."

"Remind me again why we didn't just meet like normal people."