chapter seventy-two

I approached Grayson from behind and whispered behind his back, "You're seeing this shit too?"

"I think this is the first time you've initiated a conversation with me since I started working here."

I traversed a teasing hand up his back, "I'm feeling nice today. Don't get used to it."

The hairs on his neck stood up as he spoke, "There's something wrong with that guy. I can feel it."

"There's something wrong with Veronica too. I haven't talked to her in a week since you told me and she hasn't even tried to talk to me. Felix hasn't talked to me either."

"How much do you want to bet that right now she's spilling her guts about what you told them in confidence?"

"I just can't believe after all I've done for them they'd do this shit to me."

"I don't know how they could think that your theory is outlandish. I don't even know the details but I know you don't talk for no reason."

"That's what I'm fucking saying. They made it sound like it was the craziest suggestion on earth as if the universe isn't already upside down because of you."

"You know that one quote that's like "Be nice to the nerds, you may end up working for them" or whatever? Yeah. This is me learning that lesson."

"You're learning not to bully people and I'm stuck on a repeating loop of the same day over and over. Sounds like we're both in it."

"Now you give me some slack."

"Like I said, I'm feeling nice today," I joked.

"Who would've guessed my biggest job opportunity would be working for you?"

"I can't watch this anymore. Can we leave?" I asked him.

"What?"

"Dylan is perfectly manipulating her into thinking that I'm fucking insane for thinking this. He's a brilliant actor if I'm right about it. I can't stand to watch this anymore. Let's go to the burnout room or something."

We headed the other way without any words and I made sure to keep distance between us as we walked. For as many times as he turned his head back to look at me, I turned my head to the floor to avoid his prying eyes.

Grayson opened the door for me, "Your majesty."

I grimaced at him, "That's fucking gross."

When I attempted to wait for him to walk past me, he laughed and asked, "Are you seriously not letting me walk behind you?"

"Of course not. I know your tricks."

"You caught me," Grayson chuckled as he walked past me.

"Where do you want to sit?" I asked him.

"I'm in a chair kind of mood today."

"You would say some dumb shit like that."

"I never said I was smart. You did."

"Like you didn't have a bigger ego than I did in college," I laughed at his expense, sitting down across from him when he picked a table that suited his taste. "You act like I was so obnoxious in college but you were an arrogant douchebag with no filter whatsoever. You were the definition of the closeted jock trope."