chapter thirty-four

"I'm getting tired of going around in circles with him. I think he's legitimately stupid," I huffed as I put on what I jokingly like to call 'guyliner.'

"He still hasn't gotten it yet?" Felix asked me with a heavy sigh.

"I pulled out all of the stops for this one. If this doesn't get it through to him, I don't know what will. I made it pretty obvious this time," I rolled my eyes. "If he doesn't connect the dots this time, I'm going to stick screwdrivers in his ears and pluck his eyes out."

"How long have you been setting this up for?" Felix asked as he fixed my hair for me.

"I got the idea few days after we found out the shit he was saying about you officially. I was hoping that this wouldn't be going on by the time today came but I knew a good week or two ago that if I wanted to do this, I needed to start prepping then," I said to him in response as I continued working on my eye makeup.

"I can't believe you held out on telling me about this," Felix said. "What gives?"

"Like I said, it was up in the air and I'd boxed it up for a bit to focus my attention on having a handle over the situation. Now it's happening. I'll catch you up," I began, "We got invited to attend the Breakthrough Prize Ceremony at the NASA research place thingy together obvi, blah blah blah. You know that much already. We'd been planning to go together for a while but last week I told him that I wasn't gonna go so he decided not to go either. I even talked down on it like I genuinely didn't want to so he's going to me way more shocked to see that I'm on the red carpet without him and not here. I'm going to this stupid party after with a few of these pop singers and these Tiktokkers that he despises and I'm gonna go out of my way to make it obvious I went. I'll be coming back here after and crashing. Then, I'm gonna come home around noon and act like nothing happened when I see him."

"If he doesn't get the message then, he's worse than we thought," Felix laughed.

"I'm sandwiching it, as per the technique used on Changbin to get him to quit his job at Anaïs. Even though there's no direct correlation to me being here before and after going to that event and the party, the fact that it all happened in rapid succession should mean that both thoughts are going through his mind at the same time. He just needs to connect it. If he can't, we can officially say that he doesn't have a brain," I said to him. "Okay, how are the eyes?"

"Looking good," Felix said as he continued to work on the back of my hair. "Do you know how privileged I feel being the only person allowed to do your hair like this?"

"I do and I'm glad you do because it's an honor," I laughed. "It was a gift bestowed upon you."

Felix chuckled, "How pissed do you think he's gonna be?"

"On a scale of one to ten?"

"Sure."

"Eleven."

"Wow," Felix rolled his eyes with a smile. "You just had to."

"Duh," I grinned. "So, how are things on your end?"

"I've been getting increasingly more distant over time to make him squirm," Felix said.

"Good, good. That's good," I said. "You know, you'd think he would've gotten it now considering the fact that nobody from our old friend group will talk to him except you and even then, you're being cold."

"He only thinks about you, he's not thinking about the ripple. This should remind him," Felix said. "How are Changbin and Seungmin adjusting?"

I laughed, "There was no adjustment, they fit right in. Nelson and I got them filled in on the mission statement and they got it down perfectly. Now that they have Nelson, they don't argue at all anymore. They understand each other's brains, it's weird."