18. slip away✨

Kairi
-i was drenched in you before i even knew your name-
-luke hemmings-

"She could be anywhere!" Atlas sits on my couch with his head in his hands.

Showing up tonight really let me know why Athena cries all the time.

Not only does she get emotionally abused in that house by her mother and sister, i heard the slap her mother gave her whenever i was walking down the stairs. I grew mad just thinking about how long her moms been abusing her for.

And then i hated myself for being so hard on her when she was clearly struggling with life.

"Listen man, we're trained to find people. We'll find her." I pull my phone out of my pocket. She wasn't at the park, i had no idea where she will go after that.

"She does stupid shit when she's upset." He stands up, "She doesn't look whenever she crosses a road, goes for walks and doesn't turn around until the next day."

Ace walks in, "I went to Mrs. Browns house and she said she hadn't seen her since this morning, she's going to give me a call if she does though." He rubs his hands together, "Kairi it's fucking freezing out, she's wearing a cropped top and some yoga pants."

There's only one other place i know where she could be.

The cafe, she finds comfort in buildings that hold sentimental value. The cafe is the only place where she can feel like herself.

"Stay here with him, i'm gonna go check her friends house." I grab my jacket and Apollo, she likes him as well, i'll bribe her if worst comes to worst.

"Why are you taking him?" Ace looked so confused.

"She likes him." I put his lead on and then head out. It's a twenty minute drive from the cafe to my apartment. Apollo loved it, sticking his head out of the window, the night sky dark and raining but his tongue still flapping and out.

Once i reach the cafe, i knew i couldn't bring him so i left him in the car with the windows down a little bit and then walked over myself.

The doors were locked, no lights on. I put my hands on the side of my head and press them against the window, it was dark inside.

I go round the back and open the back door, which was opened. I walk in, it was a lot warmer than it should have been. That was enough evidence that's someone's residing.

I head up the stairs, opening the door to one room which was filled with stuff, not a hope in hell she's in there, the other was a bathroom, the final one was cut into two partitions.

The first was empty, i walked through the archway of the second one and felt so relieved whenever i seen her laying on a dusty couch pushed against the wall.

I switch the light on and her eyes open straight away, "Relax baby." I walk closer to her.

"How did you find me here?" She sits up, bringing her knees to her chest and laying against the arm of the sofa.

"You wouldn't make a good runaway." I take my jacket off, holding it out for her but she shakes her head. "Take it, just while we talk."

"I don't want to talk to you." She rests her head against the wall.

"I'm not giving you a choice." I sit on the couch beside her.

She looks at me, "You only act nice whenever i cry because you feel sorry for me."

I mean, she's not necessarily wrong about that, but i do know what's it like to be abused so i know how she's feeling. And even just letting her cry and rant to me about it will make me feel a whole lot better than knowing but not doing anything.