89. honey🌺

Athena
-i came to find, my fire was fate with you-
-kehlani-

People did tell me working the ER would actually live up to the expectations of how difficult it is. I've only been working a week and i feel like im about to die.

I wake up at 6 every morning. Kairi is already awake and in the gym, or out running with the dogs, some times i wake up alone because he's doing cases.

I shower, change into my scrubs and make my way downstairs to feed Ares. I feed Ares, leave a note to tell Kairi i'm leaving, grab some lunch i made the night before, or meal prepped for the week, and then get in Kairi's Jeep which i've basically claimed as my own.

I drive to the hospital, by the times i've signed into the ER, it's 6:30 when my shift starts. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, i'm doing ER. Tuesday and Thursday, i'm doing inpatient or seeing my patients.

I have four patients at the moment.

A little boy called Peter who has just been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis.

An older lady called Pamala who has hip and joint problems, i got her working my clinical rotation for rheumatology.

A teenager called Zero who never wears a helmet while skating and now has thirteen stitches in their scalp.

And a young guy called Logan who has third degree burns due to being a fire fighter.

That's been my routine for a month.

It's Monday today, so i'm working ER.

My attending is Dr. Bang, which i'm so thankful for because i do have a slight friendship with him and he isn't as mean as the other doctors.

But i only think that's because i haven't messed up yet.

"Athena." The head nurse, April, nods her head.

But she didn't have time to say anything because the paramedics rushed through and a guy laying on the board had blood running down his chest.

"Arieta with me." Dr. Bang shouts, running over and i run over too.

We walk into one of the rooms and i pull fresh gloves over my hand, "Bullet wound to the chest, no exit wound. What do we do?" He asks, he's asking me.

"Find where the bullet is." I push a dose of morphine into the guys veins to calm him down.

"And how do we find it?"

"X-Ray." I step back as the nurse brings the X-Ray above head and scans the patient, the image starts appearing on the small screen, "Bullet is in the diaphragm."

"Well done, how do we remove it without further deepening the damage?" Dr. Bang asks.

"Make an incision, but he'll need surgery because he's loosing too much blood." I look at his blood pressure, "Immediately... like right away. He's going to die."

"Send him up to immediate surgery." Dr. Bang shouts, "Good job, Arieta." He winks, pulling the gloves off and walking out of the room.

"Really good job." April says proudly and i blush at her compliment, because she's mean. So i basically thrive on her validation.

My day goes on from treating bullet wounds to cleaning up a little kids grazed elbow. I worked over my break and so when lunch time came, i was exhausted.

Kairi called me, knowing my lunch time. "I'm in Minnesota, i texted you." He says, "Got a long case."

"When will you be back?" I dig into the pasta.