54. as the world caves in✨

Kairi
-it's you i welcome death with, as the world caves in-
-matt maltese-

"Jesus Christ, you look... refreshing." Ace says as i walk into the office. I look the furthest thing from refreshed.

"Shut it." I sit on my chair.

The rest look at me, all a little surprised, yeah, i look ugly for once.

"What happened?" Alejandro speaks.

Athena when she's drunk is a lot to handle.

"Athena." I mumble, shaking my head.

"She scratched you?" Ace narrows his eyes.

"Just shh." I rest my head in my arms, "I have a headache." I haven't sat like this since high school but the light is making my head hurt more than it already is.

She got drunk, i don't even know who served her alcohol but she bought a shit ton back. Drank until her heart was content, tried to jump off the balcony to look for Polka, cried to me for three hours straight over how she couldn't find Polka, ran away from me, almost got hit by a car, forced me to go and look for her damn cat, in which some stray cat decided to try and scratch my face off.

When i got home, she was asleep but the apartment was a mess. So i tidided it and then Hayley came and told me she'd take care of her while i came here and now i'm here. Two hours late and exhausted.

With no sleep in the past two days, a drunk girlfriend who has no idea what's going on, a team that won't shut up.

And a fucking missing cat.

"Oh, Kairi." I hear Alexander.

I lift my head, seeing his confused expression and choosing to ignore it, "Polka has gone missing and Athena is getting drunk and had several nervous breakdowns over it. I don't know what to do."

"You look exhausted." He sits opposite me.

"I am exhausted."

"I'll have someone look for her cat now, do you like... want to rest or something?"

"No. We need to get this case over with." I rub my eyes.

We managed to track a lead in Hawaii, it's still not leading us to Kira but it is leading us back to New York. Which is the only reason we're staying in New York. This is now an open case, Athena is a target, Kira and myself are victims.

We were about to start but then my phone, and Alexander's phone, rings at the same time. We look at each other before we answer.

"I hate you." Athena says, drunkly.

"What's wrong now baby?" I rub my eyes.

"It's why... you." She cries, her words slurred, "Your fault."

I look up to Alexander and he looked back at me, "What's my fault?"

"Everything." She sniffs. "I don't like you." She hangs up.

"Kairi we need to go." Alexander stands up, grabbing his jacket.

I stand too, "Why?"

"Hayley said something happened. Ace and Maya you come too." He said, "the rest of you work. We need to find out who this is." He runs off, and we follow after him.

When we arrive at the apartment complex, I run up the stairs, the door was wide open, a cop standing outside of it.

I show my badge to them and run in quickly, Athena was sitting by the wall, a bottle of beer in her hand, crying as she stares at the ground.