Chapter XII

"Easy right?" Jj asks as the group walks back to the van.

The day was staring to come to an end. You attempted to surf with the others before spending the last half of the day picnicking on the sand in your swimsuits while the boys waxed their surf boards. You looked to the sky to adorn the sunsets blue, yellow and green tinges as clouds started to roll in from the east yet the sky was still insanely beautiful and the cold evening breeze danced around your salt water kissed body.
This is the real dream. You thought to yourself. Memories of last night became only that, memories.

"Helloooo? Earth to Y/N?" Jj interrupts your train of thought as he waves a hand over your face.
"Sorry, was just thinkin.." you mumble.
"Come on you two!" Kie calls from the group who had already started walking back to the van, surfboards and towels in hand.
Jj holds his hand out to you as he twiddles his fingers, encouraging you to take it.
"They're gonna stop by Sarah's, ask if we can pitch a tent in the backyard. Maybe get some snacks, drinks, you know, all the good stuff." He says as he pulls you up from your towel in the sand.

It sounds fun said out loud but when you really think about it. Kooks know everything about other kook families. The kook neighbourhood is just one big, snobbish game of Chinese whisperers. So if one kook knows something about the other, you can bet your ass it will be passed all the way through the grape vine.
And if it's one thing you know about the Cameron's, is that Ward isn't fond of boys around his precious daughter, let alone pogue boys. You already know the outcome of the situation but you couldn't break it to em. So you nod at the idea.
"Right. Sounds fun."

"Pleeease, please, please?" You hear Sarah beg from the other side of the study wall of the Cameron's house.
"No boys Sarah." Ward replies sternly.
"But you didn't have a problem when Topper stayed over."
"Topper had the manners to stay in a seperate room than you, dear. These pogues are a bad influence."
"They're anything but a bad influence dad, don't you see how happy I've been since meeting them?"
Silence.
"Kie and Y/N... can they at least stay?" Sarah asks with a hint of melancholy in her lowly voice.

Technically you and Kie weren't pogues and Ward knew that. He sighs in defeat before placing his book face down on the desk, sure to not lose the page he was on.
"Sure dear." He embraces Sarah, resting his chin on her head.
"Thanks dad..."
Sarah walks out of the study room and faces the five of you slouched against the hallway.
"You heard the man." John B speaks up.
"I'm sorry guys." Sarah says.
"No, no, it's all good, don't worry." John B rubs Sarah's arms as reassurance. "Boys night at mine?" He turns to Jj and Pope.
"Boys night it is!" Jj cheers quietly.

As you help Kie and Sarah unload the drinks and snacks from the twinkie, a familiar truck starts to pull into the Cameron's driveway.
"This is no fair, we're losing all our bounty boys!" Jj laughs from your side.
"Not the sour cream pringles..." John B pretend sulks, earning a laugh from Sarah beside him.
"You love me." Sarah replies, landing a kiss on John B's cheek.
"Hell yeah I do." John B returns the kiss.
"Careful with that." Jj says in a low voice as he leans over you, helping you pull out the heavy cargo that is a 10 pack of spirits from the van. The touch of his hand on your lower back makes you shy away before an unexpectedly loud slam of a car door is heard.
You look towards the familiar truck to see Rafe observing the group as he walks towards the front door.
"Sour puss." Jj blurts from beneath his breath.
You chuckle before continuing to unpack the twinkie onto Sarah's yard.

"Byeeee! Thank you for letting us have all the snacks!" Sarah yells to the boys as they drive down the stone drive way, aligned by short, perfect shrubs.
"I sure hope you know how to pitch a tent Kie." Sarah sighs.
"Me? Why me? What about Y/N?"
"Oh no no no, you have wayyy more experience in that field than me and Sarah combined. My parents weren't ever the proactive type." You say.
"And I only joined the pogue lifestyle like last month." Sarah adds.
"Pfttttt.." Kie sighs, placing her hands on her hips. "how hard can it be, right?"

As the sky began setting into a darker shade of blue, the first set of stars started to appear. The sun almost entirely gone and out of sight.
"This isn't working." Sarah says frustrated as she tries to slide a long rod through a maze of loops.
"What the fuck is this even supposed to be?" Kie says as she holds up a few broken rods.
You stand back to admire the pile of junk that the three of you tried to make sense of an entire 30 minutes ago. Still no progress. Only a messed up pile of sheet and a ton of random rods and pegs.
"Maybe this way?" You say as you flip the sheet over.
"No because the zipper is on this side so that means that this is the front." Sarah says.
"Front? Back? It's a triangle, there is no front or back." Kie replies as she flips it over again, "or is it a square?...."
"Jesus christ...." You sigh with a face palm.
You look up at the house to notice a figure leaning on the rail of the second floor balcony. Watching in awe as the three of you struggle with the tent.
"Ugh Rafe." Sarah takes notice after you.
"Hey! Creepy guy on the balcony! Some help would be cool!" Kie shouts out to him.
Rafe takes a swig of the gin on rocks in his hand before walking off and back inside, pleasure setting in as the three of you continue kicking around the tent supplies.
"This isn't gonna work." Kie admits in defeat.
"Right. Luxury of a bedroom it is." Sarah says as she motions towards the house.