Chapter XXIV

"My head isn't too heavy is it?" You whisper up at him. His eyes that were focused on the large screen look down at you. His face so, extremely close to yours.
"No, not at all."
Your heart thumps hard against your chest as his eyes stay staring down into yours.
"Don't look at me like that." You joke before looking back towards the screen.
"Like what?"
"Like that."
He smiles as he senses the heat emitting off of your face as you begin to feel embarrassed, retreating your face under the blanket.
"Hey, if I have to watch the movie then so do you." He whispers in a laugh as he uses his free hand to poke at you under the blanket, earning a fit of laughter from you.
"Shhh!" Kie says as she leans over Sarah to the two of you.
"Yeah, shhhh!" Rafe mocks as he continues to poke at your side, causing you to struggle against his body away from his touch as you attempt to hold in your laughter, Rafe laughing closely above you.

To no avail, you finally grab his hand with yours. You look up towards him to meet his gaze, "stop it." You mouth silently to him. He says nothing but adjusts his hand in yours, interlocking your fingers in his before averting his attention back to the screen.
Your already rapid heart beat picks up speed at his gesture, his hand gently holds yours under the blanket, hidden away from the world. He feels your pulse pick up, rubbing the back of your hand softly with his thumb.
"Rafe." You whisper before checking on the others.
"They won't know." He whispers back before looking down at you, earning him a submissive stare in exchange.

You hadn't a clue what came over you but in the moment, you felt almost like you were obligated to lean in before you stopped your intrusive thoughts in its tracks, looking away from his addictive features and settling for a scootch closer instead.
You move in closer and he does also. Closing the gap between your bodies completely, addicted to each other's warmth. Your head now lay between his bicep and his chest, your hands still interlocked now rest in your upper thigh.
You feel him huff against your face happily as he gets comfortable slightly underneath you, his breath confirming just how close he was without you having to look up towards him again. He felt even closer now than he was before, which felt comforting but dangerous.

The fear started to really settle In when you come to the realisation that Sarah, Rafes sister and your best friend was in fact right beside you.
What the fuck am I thinking, you think to yourself. But she was the one to pass the note onto me, is this really okay?

Rafe notices your distress, hoping and praying your distress wasn't being caused by his selfishness.
"Are you alright?" He asks, concern written in his voice as his warm breath is felt on your neck, causing  immense butterflies to swarm in the pit of your stomach.
No no no, this isn't right, is what you wanted to say.
"I gotta go to the bathroom." You sit up abruptly, "Kie, bathroom?" You ask.
"Sure."

As the two of you walk towards the bathroom, Kie asks, "What was that back there?"
"Huh? Which part?" You ask panicky.
"Which part? The part where you just suddenly had to use the bathroom so bad." She laughs.
"Oh-"
"No Y/N, the part where you and Rafe were playing rock, paper, scissors under the blanket." She interrupts with a smile.
You look up towards her, an apologetic look evident on your face, earning her a sad look in exchange.
"No, I mean, of course we know. Me and Sarah atleast. But why do you look so sad?" She asks kindly as she places a hand on your back for comfort.
"Sarah knows?" You ask worried.
"Sarah's rooting for you, actually." She laughs.
You freeze in your tracks, struggling to form a sentence, you just look at Kie, waiting for her to say something else.
"I'm not messing with you Y/N. We sat a few meters away from each other on the beach today, for several hours. We know girl lingo." Kie giggles in assurance.
"The beach?-"
"Come on now, when you weren't looking, Rafe was totally cheesing over you."
"Bullshit."
"Not bullshit! I promise you. Sarah doesn't mind at all, she appreciates you helping her brother strive in life at last. If you really wanna, you can even ask her yourself after tonight." Kie advises.
"Alright, maybe I will."
"Alright," Kie nudges you towards the toilets, "now go do your business."

As you wash the heat off of your face with the bathrooms freezing cold water, Kie waits outside and against the brick wall, texting somebody on her phone.
"Heyyy Kie." A familiar yet disturbing voice says.
"Kelce." She says with a disgusted look plastered on her face.
"How have you been?" He asks as a pathetic excuse at small talk.
"I know what you're doing, run along." Kie says dryly, resuming her texting, leaving Kelce standing alone awkwardly.

Kie
Don't come out yet, Kelce is here. Think he's waiting for you, he won't leave.

"What the hell?" You murmur to yourself. Anger starts to consume you as you remember your last encounter with him. The pool incident was one thing, but what he had planned afterwards made you feel sick to your stomach. Your brain starts to subconsciously flood your thoughts- no. The possibilities of how that night could have ended if it wasn't for Rafe.

Rafe.