Chapter CII

After the much anticipated sleepless night, the sun finally arises. Dawn turned to day and Rafe was ready to see you again already.

He feels around the top of his nightstand for his phone, checking it for anything new and is met with nothing. Not even a good morning text from you like usual but he knew exactly why that is. Reminiscing last nights confusion, the lack of your morning messages cues him to spring out of bed, shower and see you with no time to waste.

He doesn't even stop to eat, he only ties his laces and hurriedly rushes down the staircase, passing Ward, Rose and Wheezy as they cook an abnormally big breakfast.
"Dad." Rafe says as he leans against the wall with one hand and using his other to adjust the back of his shoe, "Any idea why the shopkeepers daughter would be messaging me out of the blue?"
Ward stays too fixated on flipping the pancakes and bacon to answer so Rose steps up with a "Good morning."
Rafe looks up for a split second, catching a glimpse of the plates set up in an overly orderly fashion around the table, counting two additional ones on the end.
"What's going on? Are we having guests?" He asks.
"Yes so make sure you're ready." Rose answers.
"Maybe you could make yourself useful for once and put the cutlery out." Ward says plainly.
Rafe only aggressively stares at Wards back as he faces away, "Who?"
"Your 'used to be' girlfriend." Wheezy teases.
"What the hell are you talking about?"
"I've had an agreement with the Shopkeeper from town, we manage the estate his shop sits on now so we get a large cut from his takings." Ward says.
"The shopkeeper." Rafe repeats, "No wonder."
"Hm?"
"Nothing, I'm going out now."
"No, you're not." Ward finally turns around to look at Rafe, a spatula in his hand.
"What?"
"This'll be your business one day so you gotta greet him too, he'll be your client in the long run."
"Dad- no, give it to Wheezy or something but I'm not taking over." Rafe states, "I would've thought I've already made that clear by now."

Wards eyes sharpen at Rafes as he straightens his back, turning his whole body towards him now as if to staunch his righteous son who was far too confident in his words for Wards liking.
Rose knows to stay out of it, watching from the other side of the kitchen like Wheezy was too, except Wheezy was seated on a stool at the kitchen counter, fear in her eyes as she stares up at Ward approaching Rafe slowly.

Ward places his spatula on the table, his carelessness for getting grease on the white tablecloth and the bacon on the stove that now smelt like it was burning, conjured fear out of Rafe. Something he hadn't felt in a long, long time. Rose and Wheezy could feel it too, Wards animosity filled the room like a great, big, dark cloud.
"You're staying or that Y/N of yours will have no business coming here anymore."
Ward stops only a few inches away from where Rafe stood, clenching his teeth to suppress the words that wanted so badly to stand up for himself and yet, he just gulps. Swallowing his words and nodding instead.
"Good." Ward smiles, "Put the cutlery out."

Wards deceitful smile silences Rafe all too easily. Earning him a pitiful look from Wheezy as Rafe catches her eyes, filled with sorry and judgement.

As Rafe begins to set out the forks, spoons and knives, the doorbell rings.
He makes his way to the front door and through the frosted glass, he could see two blurred figures.
One was unmistakable and dreadfully familiar; it was Heather. The larger one, on the other hand, was her father who ran the shop and has made the deal with his own father, Ward.
Opening the door, Rafes met with a big, toothy smile as the jolly large man greets him with open arms as if he had known him all his life. Rafe found it weird, of course, but he leans into it anyways to be respectful to his guests. When it came to Heather though, Rafe completely turns his body away, making her scowl at his refusal of showing her any attention in the slightest and leaving her to shut the door herself.

Heathers father raises his arms up towards the ceiling again when he sees Ward working away at the stove, glad at the scent of bacon and grease filling his senses.
"Ward! How great to see you, and that smells divine." He presents himself loudly.
"Oh, old friend! I'm sorry I didn't know you'd arrived, you're early." Ward responds with a smile and his casual wear of a fabricated personality.
"No worries at all, this courteous gentleman let me in quite quickly."
"Right..." Ward mutters, "This is my son, Rafe."
"Ohh! Son, well it's a pleasure to meet you."
Rafe only nods back, flashing a quick smile in the mans direction before letting it falter again. His face returning to its rather plain and unamused state as he stands involuntarily next to Heather, feeling her knife-like-gaze staring up at him.
"You could at least pretend your happy to see me." Heather has the nerve to say, quickly seeing him react as the muscles in his jaw visibly tense.
"...or, just continue sulking."
"Don't get too comfortable." Rafe warns through his teeth, sparing not a moments glance at Heather.

Rafe rolls his eyes with a sigh as he moves away from her wretched side and situating himself against the counter instead, leaning against it with his hip.
It didn't take Heather long to follow him though, like a lost street puppy, she sits down on the stool beside him.
"What? We can't even be friends?" Heather asks.
"I've got enough of those."
"Pft-" She laughs, "That street rat with the bad mouth doesn't count."
Rafe swiftly turns his body to face her, placing both of his hands on either side of her shoulders and staring her directly in her eyes with the most malicious look she had ever seen, in all means of making sure she heeds his words carefully.
"You keep her out of your mouth or I'll make sure your fathers shop runs into the ground, and if you approach her on the street again like last time, you'd better watch yourself." Rafe says sternly.
Heathers body ices over, frozen in terror at the look in his eyes and the tone in his voice when speaking to her, but after letting her own eyes escape his for a single second, a smile lets up on her face.

Rafes eyes furrow down at her as he feels his fingers tighten, able enough to crush her arm if he wanted to but she barely takes notice. She only stares out the window now, a smile devilish and spiteful.

"Hmph, Speaking of the devil."