Chapter CXII

As if there was no perfect time such as the present, a police car shows up. It pulls in quietly because of the unruly hour of morning it was, it didn't even look like it was in much of a rush to get there either. It heated Rafe to see the lack of emergency in their duty but he bites his tongue and stays patient, his face however, shows otherwise.

Shoupe is seen hopping out of the car with another officer beside him. They both adjust their belts as they walk towards Rafe and Pope on the beach, Rafe begins to meet them halfway but at a valid, much faster pace.
"Now, Rafe...Your sister Sarah called for us about a runaway-"
"Shes not a runaway...She's missing." Rafe says through a stern expression, startling Shoupe to see.
He only stares into Rafes eyes, pitifully too, when he realises they both were not on the same page and he believes his own statement to be the correct one.
"Y/N has a long history of being reckless, she skips coming home some nights." Shoupe says before gesturing towards Pope, "-As her friend and partner in crime, you should know that better than anyone."
"That's the thing sir, we don't know where she is."
Pope says, impatience growing on him as well.
"Shoupe!" The other officer calls out from afar.

Rafes eyes dart towards the thicker officer who's hunched over the broken tree where the coolers were. He then straightens back up, holding one of your empty bottles towards the sun and then waving Shoupe over to him as he inspects it. Rafe doesn't hesitate to follow and neither does Pope.
"Look." The officer says, pointing to a strange clumpy residue on the inside of the glass.
"What? What is it?" Pope asks but is met with no response in return. Rafe looks at Shoupes face, searching it for an answer but Shoupe only looks confused at what he sees. Seeing even the officers, as befuddled as they were, made Rafes uneasiness rise.
"Shoupe!" Rafe raises his voice, desperation in his tone as he demands an answer.
"Settle down, boy..." Shoupe says. He ignores Rafes plead and mutters to his partner instead, "Test these other bottles."

Shoupe walks away from the three of them and starts walking around the bonfire now, looking at other bottles that were left behind but none of which were yours. He tosses them back in the sand when he finds that they don't have the same residue as the bottles you drank from, did.
Rafe hastily approaches him, feeling his face tense sharply as well as his fists as he's left in the dark still.
"Tell me what's going on."
Shoupe only sighs, "I could arrest the lot of you for public drinking you know..."
"Stop dodging my questions." Rafe says.

"Shoupe! It came up positive!"

"Ssshit." Shoupe mutters as he rubs his head.
Rafe makes his way to beside Pope where the other officer was, holding up a sort of paper indicator with red lines. Rafe struggled to understand what it was exactly so he looks down at Pope who was just as bummed out and helpless as Shoupe was.
"What- what does that mean? What is that?" Rafe tries again for an answer, but this time, he got it.
"It's a drug test." The officer says, "This line here means it's positive...
...The girl was drugged."

Rafe steps back, almost stumbling.
He feels himself beginning to spiral, beginning to lose himself again. He can't feel much of anything in this moment but he can feel his grip on his sanity slipping away, not slowly either, but fast.
Officer Shoupe knows what you mean to him so he glances over towards Rafe. What he saw, he would describe as if he was brought back through time, seeing the Rafe he saw back on the scene at the pier.
Rafes chest was heavily rising and falling, unable to keep a steady pace of breathing as his body feels light with adrenaline. All signs of murderous intentions and Shoupe, of course, could read him like a book.

Shoupe tries to calm Rafe down but Rafe only shoves him away, holding his hands to his head as he turns away from the scene completely. Distress evident in his body language as he starts to pace up and down the short strip of sand.
"Calm down, Son."
"No, no, no, no- you- you don't say that."
"Rafe, listen to me-"
"I know who did it. Shoupe, i know." Rafe says as he gestures his hand hard against his own chest, "It was Kelce, and if you don't do something about him then I will."
"Let's not jump to conclusions."
"Are you blind?! You were there at the pier!-"
"Yes, Rafe. I was there, and I saw you on top of him, beating his motionless body into a pulp."
"That's-" Rafe begins but is quickly interrupted.
"I'll ask a nearby store for their security camera footage, alright?" Shoupe says, earning a silent nod of agreement from Rafe.

Pope and Rafe as well as Shoupes partner stay on the scene while the other bottles are tested and Shoupe in the meantime, goes up the street in search for a shop whose security camera lines up well enough to have caught anything from last nights boneyard party.

Turns out, only a select few of the bottles inside your cooler had broken seals, leading the officer to believe that somebody had drugged them at random in your absence like some type of roofie roulette
Who ever it was, had obviously kept their eye on you for a lot of the night to know where you sat and when you got up.
"It couldn't have been Jj...could it?" Rafe asks as he stares plainly into the sky.
"No. Trust me, Jj was barely around her the entire night." Pope responds, "plus, he wouldn't do that."
Rafe turns his head towards Pope, "You mean she was left alone?"
"...No..."
"What do you mean 'no'?"
"There was a guy..." Pope says, his face beginning to glow with the realisation. "There was a guy and he was kinda weird around Y/N, sat with her almost the entire night- I remember now!"
Rafes blood boils at the mention of another man by your side but he knows that's not what's important right now. "Who? Pope, who was it?!"
"I...I don't actually know."

Pope stares down at the sand as he tries to think. He knows just like you did that his face was familiar, but he didn't actually know who he was. Before he could come to any conclusion at all, Shoupe returns.
"We've got footage."