Chapter LXIX

You and Topper stand on the sand as Shoupe and a medical team observe Kelce's cuts and broken bones while Rafe crouches over the water, washing off as much blood as he could before it has the chance to leave itself stained into his skin.
"Thank you. For back there." Topper speaks up, his rare and grateful tone of voice cuts graciously through the tension of the silence.
"Hm? For what?"
"Stepping in when I couldn't." He says, "I don't know what happened, I just froze I guess."
You smile as you look up to meet his eyes that were already glancing down at you, they seemed apologetic but glad.
"Don't worry too much about it. I would've done the exact same if it wasn't for my years of experience." You laugh as you reminisce the days before your fathers anger therapy. To your surprise, Topper laughs as well.
"Yeah." He says, understanding what you meant all thanks to small town gossip.
"You guys ready?" Rafe asks as he walks back towards the two of you standing on the sand and unexpectedly sharing a smile with one another.
"The real question is are you?" Topper huffs a laugh, earning a small laugh from you in return.
"Show me." You say, pulling Rafes hands close towards your body and running your fingers over his own, examining his hands that were much bigger than yours in size. He only smirks down at you, letting you do whatever it is that you wanted with him and enjoying the sensation of your delicate touch tracing against the sensitivity of his skin before regrettably feeling your hands leave his, causing his arms to drop heavily by his side again.
He sighs at the sudden loss of warmth, dramatically enough for you to notice.
"What's that face for?" You giggle.
You can't help but smile at his expression as he stares disapprovingly at you, his smile returning as it flickers inconsistently against his cheeks.
"Come on, you know what you're doing." He smiles, taking your hand in his once again and preparing to leave the god forsaken beach at last.

Rafe begins to make his way back to his truck with your hand securely in his and Topper following closely behind. Rafe pulls the keys out from the pocket of his pants before looking up again, catching a glimpse of the familiar black SUV that belonged to the boy he had just left behind, bloodied and bruised. The memories of the fight coming back to him in flashes, causing him to feel exhilarated again.
He sighs before averting his gaze back to the concrete, avoiding all eye contact with the SUV as the very sight of it puts a bad taste in his mouth.
Rafe struggles with his keys in one hand while the other remains in yours as the lingering feeling sits in the back on his throat.
"Here." Topper says as he takes the keys from Rafes  hand, "I'll drive."
"There's no backseat..." Rafe mentions.
"What? You expected me to walk home? After all that?!" Topper shouts with a smile of disbelief,
"Just- I don't know, have Y/N on your lap or something, but I'm not walking home."
You look up at Rafe as he looks down at you, searching your eyes for an ounce of approval.
"Yeah, I don't mind." You say.
"Sweet." Topper says, jumping joyously into the drivers side seat.
You begin to open the door, pulling the handle up as it audibly unlocks until Rafe presses it closed again.
"Are you sure?" He asks, "I could always just sit in the tray."
"Don't be silly, Rafe." You laugh, "let's go home."

Topper drives down the sketchy road, lit dimly by the very few working street lights that would pass quickly with the speed of Toppers driving, creating strobe like flashes on your bare thighs as you sit on top of Rafes. The small space of the passengers seat combined with Rafes larger body taking up almost entirely of it makes it hard to sit comfortably even a little bit. You squirm against Rafes stature, desperate for comfort until his arms wrap around your waist, securing you firmly on top of him.
"That hurts, you know." He groans breathily against your ear.
"Sorry."
He bucks his hips up against you, scooching your body up further on top of his lap after feeling you slip down against his.
"Am I too heavy?" You whisper anxiously, worried that you might be crushing his pelvic bone.
"Not at all." He whispers back, the close proximity of his shakey voice to your ear causes your heart to thump hard against your chest.
"You could always lay the seat back." Topper says,
"I won't judge if you continue your little act of public indecency back there." He chuckles.
Rafe only shoots him a cautionary side glance as you continue to get comfy against him, wincing at your certain movements.
"You're so funny, Top." Rafe says between groans.
"Oh, yeah? You really think so?"
"No."

After a few long moments of finally laying
some-what still and comfortable at last on top of Rafes lap, you had started to doze off as your head rests softly against his chest. His heart beat was like a lullaby to your ears as his chest rocked you to sleep with every breath and his hands rubbed gently against your inner thigh, making you drift into an inevitable sleep.
"We'll take her home first." Topper says as he glances over to you, sleeping peacefully in Rafes arms.
Rafe only nods in agreement before placing a soft kiss against your head, careful not to wake you.

Your eyes begin to flutter open but barely enough to keep you awake for no more than a few seconds after feeling the car come to a halt, parking against a curb. The sound of Topper pulling the handbrake up was enough for you to know that you were home at last. The thought of laying in the comfort of your, soft, warm bed makes you melt like butter against Rafe again, finding it too difficult to keep yourself awake any longer and eventually slipping back into your nap.

"How are you getting inside the gate?" Topper asks as he stares hopelessly at the large iron gates.
"I know a way." Rafe says as he slowly begins to hop out of the car with you limp in his arms, carrying you bridal style.
"You need a hand?" Topper offers, hopping out of his side of the truck as well.
Rafe walks steadily towards a spot on the bricked fence that was marked with a lengthy crack that ran upwards all the way from the grass.
"There's a step on the other side of this." Rafe says matter-of-factly.
"And you know this?"
"Y/N keeps it there when she sneaks out with the pogues. I know because I've seen her use it."
"Oh. Alright then." Topper says as he holds his hands out towards you.

Rafe hesitates for a few seconds as he stares down at Toppers reaching arms but decidedly agrees to hand you over to him, just while he climbs on top of the fence.
He feels Toppers hands grasp at your waist between your body and his own, prying you away from him as he slides you into Toppers arms but feels a sense of uneasiness cloud over his entire being when he agonisingly sees your face fall against his friends chest and your hand coming up to grip the fabric of his shirt.
"Just go." Topper says after noticing Rafes hesitation and the tension in his jaw, his words breaking Rafe out of his envious train of thought.
Rafe positions his hands on top of the rocky brick work before pulling himself up and over it. The muscles in his arm visibly tense as he carries his own body weight over the height of the fence.
"Alright," He sighs as he catches his breath, "slowly and carefully."
Topper holds his arms out towards Rafe, lifting you up a few inches above his chest before feeling your body exchange into Rafes instead.

"Wait here, I'll take her to bed and I'll be out in 5."