40. You've Got It All Wrong, Nandini!

Nandini's POV

Thirty minutes from the moment I entered the room, I worked my ass off and now the wound of Alpha Manik's stomach was nicely tended and covered with gauze for protection. Tranquilizers and other medicines were given to him already and now with his eyes closed and no trace of frown of pain, Alpha Manik was resting peacefully in the bed.

I looked at his calmed out figure and a wind of guilt whipped my face. His painful hisses during treatment was still haunting me. His eyes were teary and the way his fingers bit into the mattress beside me, I can't get it out of my head. He had been in gruesome pain from the stab.

"Thank you, Nandini." Jenna disturbed my thoughts with her gentle voice.

She was softly whispering near my ear so not disturb Alpha Manik's peace.

"Had you not been here, I wonder I would have dealt with this. I was so freaked out." She pressed her lips together as her eyes stopped on the white band of bandages coiling around his waist, holding his wound protectively.

Jenna told me the wound was caused with a metallic weapon coated with thick layer of wolfsbane powder. Powdered wolfsbane is more lethal than the plant because it can go deep in body with blood and circulate in every part of the body with the it, and cause pain unimaginable. Alpha Manik didn't waste anytime coming back home after he was attacked. That's the reason why we could treat him just the normal way without undergoing operations-- or else in one of the sessions doctor Raghav had once mentioned that the affected part had to be mutilated to stop the infection from spreading.

Praise to be with God and his mercy that we didn't have to think about mutilation at all. Now when I look at Alpha Manik, my heart goes on for him. Being a wolf is not easy at all. Not at all.

And certainly, I bit my lips and lowered my eyes in guilt as I thought-- I only hurt his sentiments with my words from the other night.

I wish I could take them back.

Raising my eyes, I noticed Jenna going on the other side of the bed. She leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on the Alpha forehead. I was totally stunned. She was not behaving normally as I have known her.

Jenna is commonly rigid and not very open to talk. She doesn't express her emotions. However, I saw more than softness in her eyes. She sighed in worry, her eyes blinked in longing, her lips twisted and pressed together in need, and her fingers gently swept through the Alpha's hair, putting them away from his glorious face now dawned with peace.

"Jenna," I called for her as my body grew uncomfortable at the sight of her doings.

We were alone in his room. All the servants have been retired by me and Jenna. I bit back a cry of exasperation now as I realized why Jenna was pushing me to retire everyone away so the two of us were left.

She wanted to get close to him. Come to think of it, she thought it would be easier and safer under my presence because I am not a person who snitches. Oh, how do I forget, in everyone's eyes I am dislike by the alpha so there is no point he'd listen to me.

She passed me a sad smile and leaned closer, "I love him, Nandini."

Frozen in my spot rigidly, I stared at the door over my right shoulder. This moment I regretted sending the guards (the unseen broad built men with Beta Nathan) and the beta to their rooms for some rest. I truly wanted Jenna to move away, and she would not have dared to lean in so closer to the Alpha in their presence in the first place.

"B-but you can't love him." I mouthed after composing my state of mind.

"I know I can't, which is why it makes me feel so vulnerable." She sighed again before leaning even closer.

My hands solidified at my sides as I watched her. I can see her love was intense and had been blooming in her heart for a long time. But the growing lines on her forehead and trace of tears in her eyes showed it was one sided.

She quickly moved away as if something struck her. She catapulted on her legs and away from bed unless there was great distance, "I, uh," She forced her lips to lips.

Only it was hard to put her lips to pretend a smile. Jenna rushed to the window. I quickly followed. It was one sided I knew, my heart was dying to know if she ever shared any closer encounters with him. L-like... Like me and him! I was dying to know if alpha Manik had also been this close with her.

"Jenna," I placed a hand on her shoulder.

She shook her head in acknowledgement of my presence and pretended to be okay when she wasn't. This made me so very at discomfiture for some reason. Still i hung my her side as I was interested in her story.

She was beautiful and desirable. I wanted to know what made alpha not get into a relationship with a beautiful lady like her? From the looks of her face, I could bet Alpha Manik was aware of her feelings.

"You can share it with only if you are comfortable." I pressed my fingers down on her shoulders to bring her out of the mute mode.

She looked out, staring at the crescent moon floating elegantly in the sea of sky among thousands of stars, and said, "My mate had been a tyrant. You know I dont much about him because there is not much except that he treated me like a whore and fucked me day and night."

I held my heart as an estranged feeling washed over me. In most of the cases poor females are treated like an object of satisfaction by their mates. I feel bad that poor Jenna had to experience that as well.

"He would let other males fuck me to whom he owed debt and get things cleared with. It is normal as you know," She forced a smile again but the hurt in get eyes was inevitable. "It was until I was rescued and brought here in the pack to live by Alpha Manav. Manik and I were quote young then. I don't know how young exactly but he was the gentlest werewolf I have ever seen."

My mouth dropped and if not it would be touch the floor had Jenna not seen me and laughed. As i looked away she said, "I know it's hard for you to accept but Manik indeed is gentle, though rough and rude from the outside."

She looked behind us on the bed at him and another sigh of deep longing escaped from her chest, "But for most of the females like us... He's a desirable wolf with all the bad qualities at show for other females while good ones are preserved for someone special." She smiled at me.

"That's how most of the Alphas are, Nandini." I didn't know what to say.

I followed Jenna's gaze and for a swift second I felt like his eyelashes flickered. Was he awake? Did he listen this all? I didn't get a chance to draw a conclusion as Jenna pulled me in a back hug and rested her chin on my shoulder.

"Alpha males are otherwise rude to females but extremely gentle and lovely to the female they love. They will do anything for them, irrespective of the female's cold treatment or ignorance. They know how to love and convince, Nandini. Alpha males can go any limits to make the woman they love feel special. And like most of the females, I tried to capture his heart but got it crushed under his feet." I swallowed the lump in my throat as she spoke.

A shudder coursed through my body and I sucked a big gulp breath of air as my lungs felt highly compressed with lack of air.

"How couldn't you know your attempt was already a fail from the very beginning?" I remarked, my eyes still on his figure on the bed.

"What do you mean?" Jenna looked at me with her chin resting on my shoulder.

"I mean to say, isn't it obvious that he would have rejected you since you are not his mate." Jenna gave me a puzzled look.

Tearing her hold away, I turned to face her, "Alpha Manik would have left you once his mate arrived, so anyway there wouldn't have been any point of wanting him in your life."

She twisted her lips. I take she was not convinced with my words, hence to explain her better, I raised an eyebrow, "Don't wolves leave their lovers for their mates for more power and contentment?"

Much to my surprise, Jenna laughed and slapped my head playfully, "You've got it all wrong, Nandini."

Tbc...

Don't forget to comment and vote ❤️