103. Killer

103. Killer

Manik's POV

Nathan left me with a heavy air coiling around me like a ghost. The sky was dark and moonless. No stars to keep the light either.

I slumped back against the wall and closed my eyes. The memories from my beautiful holiday with Nandini kicked in. I smiled and automatically lifted a hand to my chest as I recalled her words once she had whispered near my ear after a heavy lovemaking session.

"If you ever miss me, just keep a hand on your chest and say I love you Nandini. It'll give your heart some peace and your body some strength to tolerate the time of our separation until you can have me in your arms again."

I had laughed at her dramatics back then. But now, I did just that and hoped she would jump out of the blue right in front of me. That's not going to happen though. She won't jump out as she is kidnapped. I will have to track her down and pull her out of the swampland of hostility my enemies have taken against her to torture.

"Manik," I squeezed my eyelids tight and stopped breathing.

My mother was here. Not even two minutes since Nathan left.

Peeling myself off the wall, I put some distance between us. Every ounce of her made me feel weak... And vulnerable. I don't have to guess that she is here to console me beside the fact that she also wishes to reprimand me for hiding about my relationship with the woman I actually showed I hated.

"I will not bury you beneath the weight of my questions, Manik," She began, her voice soft and extending support.

Even then I moved a few steps away, keeping a good distance between us. I don't want any hands on me. Although my body is mentally in shreds and physically drained out, I don't need hugs or shoulder squeezes, sympathizing with me. I will find my woman and have her hands graze my taut shoulders and relieve them off the strain with her soft touch.

"But I really want to let you know that I am with you. I will be here with you." That sounds good but it is not enough.

I remained quiet and stared out in front of me. Mom took hesitant steps in my direction and stopped two steps away. She was respecting my need to stay untouched and I respect that.

"To be honest with you, I have a confession to make." That forcefully took my attention.

"What confession?"

A lone tear escaped her left eye. She lifted her red face and sniffed before she spoke, "Nandini had come to me to seek help. She was in tears and she threw her arms around me as she muttered something about needing help."

"Help with what, mom?" I impatiently asked.

"I don't know." That was a whisper. "I was too occupied by your mate's arrival to pay attention to her. I ignored Nandini." She bit back a cry.

It was her guilty conscience. Or maybe it was the realization that Nandini was kidnapped because she didn't help her.

But it was not her fault. It was mine because I failed to help her. I refused to help her. In fact, I didn't care a damn why she needed the help.

As the claws of self-resentment dug deeper around my heart, mom sniffed and added, "I wasn't the only one she approached for help, Manik. Nandini also went to your father."

My eyes froze on her face as my heart soared up to my throat, "She went to dad, too?"

My mother nodded, "Right after I refused to help her."

Turning around, I bit my lips to hold back a loud cry. My Nandini didn't just visit me, she also went to the other two most important people in her life. My parents.