86. Panic attack

Oh my god! You guys not just achieved the target... You smashed it😱😱😱😱😱

Come on, give me some time to write chapters.

But anyway, thank you for showing your interest 😭🥰🥰🥰

Here's your promised chapter.

****

86. Panic attack

Manik's POV

A small breath burst on her trembling lips. She bit them reluctantly and tried to raise herself from the bed.

"No, don’t do that. You are not strong enough to support yourself to sit."

She smiled still, "I want to be able to... To look into your eyes when we talk."

I sighed. She was attempting to make this not be awkward. I wanted to tell her that nothing about this was awkward. But maybe her hard nipples from our touch and her shivers made her skin crawl. I didn't protest and helped her slant the bed so she could face me without straining her body.

She pulled the white thin sheet on her chest with a wince and forced a smile, "Thank you."

I watched her face. She had become pallid. Veins like the intricate distribution of branches on a bald tree filled every part on her skin and eyelids. Her whites were now reddish yellow. I couldn't stop brushing my hand on her forehead, hoping to make the lines disappear.

"Raghav told me you wished to see me." She shook her head.

"So his name is Raghav? He is nice. When he came to see me after I woke up, it felt like I was being greeted by a close family member and not a doctor." This time it was my turn to dent the corners of my mouth and beam.

Raghav is my best possession in this pack. It's because of him that our pack's hospital and staff have received an abundance of recognition among other packs and places. All the trophies and shields in his cabin remind me of his dedication all the time.

"He says that hospitals and its people are his life. And he loves his life."

"You are lucky to have him." Gianna said. "Is there anyone else who you think makes you feel lucky and blessed?"

"Nandini." The name instantly came out of my mouth.

I felt my heart swirl and sway in delight as her images came to my awareness. My Nandini. The woman who completes me.

"Hmm, looks like someone really very special?" I was amazed by the playfulness in Gianna's voice.

The condition she was in, and the pain her body was getting afflicted by were tenfold. Anyone else in her place would have been squirming and begging for mercy from this pain.

But here she sat with a shaking smile, tearful eyes, yet with contentment gleaming on her countenance like she was the happiest person.

I nodded at her, "She's really very very special. I love her. I desire to marry her." But I am also the one who hurts her the most. "I am lucky because she returns my love and care. No, I think she loves me more than I do. I am her life."

"God, I am relieved to know you have someone." Her voice was edged with light remorse. "Otherwise I would have been devastated if you were single and waiting on me-- your destined mate."

"It's hard to not fall in love in this era. Love finds a way in your heart even if you don't want it." I quickly grinned at her. "You would be surprised to know that Nandini and I were enemies first."

"Wow, you're living a fairytale-like life."

"Oh well, Nandini says the same thing."

Silence expanded in the ward as Gianna lost herself into sweet memories. I watched her with a smile, trying to reckon her life with her husband. She was a nice soul and seeing her like that made my heart squeeze. I could only wonder what would be happening to her husband.