Chapter 26. I Won't Cross Her Path

Manik's POV

My body was drowning heavily in sleep. As the relaxation dawned over my wary frame my muscles calmed down. I shifted my face comfortably on the mattress from Nandini's hand without leaving it.

I desired to catch a wink of sleep. But then I heard a loud banging of door as it hit the wall from vigorous knock.

"Nandini," An alarming voice belonging to my mother drummed my ears and I was on my feet, far away from the bed.

"Oh, darling," She leaned over her body to check her face.

My wolf gulped a knot of apprehension as we sensed her take a deep aggressive breath. No doubts my mom was distressed. What afflicted my wolf and I was her menacing body language.

"Look at her face, Manav. She's dry of color and calm." I took another step backward while verifying that my movements didn't forge any sound.

Taking my mom's attention during this time is the last thing I want. She may be my mother but when she likes someone, she cherishes them more than jewel she owns. She won't even see that is unintentionally done by me. She will simply whoop my ass in whatever way she can.

I happen to be the one who's behind this state of her beloved Nandini. Hence the fear that whispers into me aggressively, haunts my wolf, which I cannot surpass at all.

"Oh my, there are more bruises on her skin." She cried. "What have I not done to make get rid of the! Now there are new. They won't go easily, Manav. Why does this have to happen to her? My poor girl." Mom bent down to scoop Nandini in a hug.

Nandini appeared as a small baby by how mom kissed her forehead and whispered prayers of quick recovery for her.

Nandini is a daredevil. She overcame hell and escaped a life others would prefer to run away from. Running away simply states the fact that they would commit suicide. But Nandini expertly got out of it. She wrote her own fate and started from a point no one can consider surpassing. I am certain she will overcome this too.

"Shh, it's okay, Arti. Don't worry yourself." Dad joined her as he held mom providing his support to her restless heart. "Nandini is a warrior. She will heal sooner."

"Manav, healing does not bother me; hurt does. Since she was kidnapped she's been through hell. And this had to happen just when she was starting to get over the previous tragedies." Mom sobbed. "None of you have seen her tremble during sleep. None of you saw her wriggle and scream in her sleep. My heart does go out for her just because she is a woman. I can relate to her anguish for I have seen the conditions in the grooming factory she escaped."

She refused dad's comforting stroking. Taken aback dad supplied her some space as he pressed his lips sympathetically.

"We both have seen the situation, Manav. How can you claim she would be able to revitalize again? It is no petty bruise that would heal in some days, Manav. It is sexual assault that we are talking about."

This led me to lower my head in shame. I imagined her being in the grooming factory and the affliction it would have caused her. Indeed, it is too much to take by a mortal like her. I can infer why mom is so much sad.

"You won't understand my feelings because you are not a female. Your body parts are not glorified and desired." Mom's high pitched voice dried my throat.

A cough eloped my lungs. My wolf hissed fearfully provided that mom spun around, noticing my presence.

"What hurts me more is the fact that it is my own son because of whom a poor girl had to live a nightmare." Her eyes watered, she passed a distressed look in my direction and lowered her eyes.

My wolf cried in my chest. This is the last statement we ever wanted coming from our mother. Her tears burn my heart.

"I told you she's not bad, didn't I? Why didn't you listen to me, Manik." I turned around unable to tolerate her grieved expressions which is the cause of my wrongdoing.

She sniffed lightly and my toes curled.

"I assume you didn't intend to do that, but she's in a lot of pain right now. Your desire to bother her resulted in a problem that affects a lot of people. Alpha Manik, how would you repair her wounds? You've promised to keep each and every one of your family members safe. Tell me how you're going to deal with her suffering? How would you help her get away with this and move on?" Mom's emotionless tone send me some steps away towards the door.

I didn't dare turn around for my face was a mess of assorted emotions. There was heat in my cheeks and I felt like a tormentor who has crossed every limit of oppressing someone. That is another thing that I never wished Nandini to take a ride to hell any woman would fear of, I was still the reason behind her being in a hospital bed with bruises that sliced my own heart.

"I don't know if I could make it upto her for the trouble I caused her. But I vow to never bother her again. Rest assured, mom, I will never ever cross her path for any reason unless it is necessary." Announcing that with rigid determination, I sprinted off the room before mom threw any more spears of mortification towards me.

Tbc...

Enjoy reading 😉
I wish to see a wave of wonderful comments and votes. Thank you.