58. No, not my Nandini!!!

Enjoy reading ❤️😘

58. No, not my Nandini!!!

Nandini's POV

Relief washed over me as soon as I stepped inside the living hall. "Hey, Nandini!" I was greeted by the eldest caretaker Mrs. Flanagan with a welcoming grin.

"I missed you all so much. Thought to stop by for a while." I smiled back, not giving away the worry Raghav had installed in me with his quaking words.

Mrs. Flanagan wiped her hands on the apron before her belly. She took my hands and took me to the middle of the hall where a couple of elders were playing poker.

"That's good you came. Our beautiful Avery's been talking about you since your last visit."

"Really, Avery? What am I hearing? You really missed me?" kneeling beside an old lady, I raised my brows of amazement.

Avery is known for being grumpy. She has a habit of picking faults in everything nice. When I had come here for the first time, she had commented on my lips. Said they looked fake, and that young women are ruining their beauty with surgeries.

"Yes, Avery," I gave the old lady a teasing smile. "You really missed me?"

I had to let her touch my face to assure her I was not under the spell of surgeries. The woman had agreed with her softening gaze that I was natural beauty as everyone called me, but it took everything in her to compliment me.

Avery tried to roll her eyes under her dropping eyebrows, "What I really miss in life is a glass full of champagne."

Mrs. Flanagan and I laughed, "I can't remember its taste. To say it's been over ten years since I last had any."

My smile shrunk to a pressing of lips to keep pity from my expressions. The elders in this nursing home made my heart crack down to two. Most of them have had fortunes written before their names. It was until their children possessed it under theirs and left their aging old parents to die here.

I was glad Mrs. Flanagan changed the course of the topic as she reminded Avery about the game that was on pause. It served me a chance to slip into another room to look over the elders.

"Hi, Nandini. It's good to see you again."

"I missed that vibrant grin, Mr. Parker. Hope your wrist is functioning well." I greeted the youngest caretaker with striking green eyes.

"Thanks to you, my wrist is functioning just fine."

He was feeding an elder when I walked in. Everything seemed within order as I took a look around the room. The caretakers were looking after the old ones and some of them even waved their wrinkled hands at me as I walked on them. They remembered me.

Thank god. Everyone was safe. It barely took me two minutes to count the numbers. There was no one missing except for Silas, an old man who was on his deathbed. Mrs. Flanagan informed he sucked his last breath a week ago.

I stopped in the rear area, looking over the grass growing two feet tall. The sky was a canvas half painted with violet and black expanding over it, the stars twinkling with more fervor than previous time. I watched the moon as it glowed with a faint light while on the right I saw the residue of leftover sunlight dying into blackness.

What a sight. Nothing can beat the evenings. They're so magical. Almost unbelievable.

This world is indeed a place full of mysteries and magic. One can only imagine how the day alters into night, the black overtakes the white, and how the chirping of birds settles down to small lullabies.