56. Another Warning For Alpha

Another Warning for alpha

Manik's POV

"Rafael King?" I parroted the name without hiding my hostility.

"Yeah, Cyrus lied that he was requested to transfer the ownership to King for he felt kind of attachment with the elders when he visited them with his youngest son and that he would do everything the elders need and take care of them." I watched as Raghav clenched his jaw, probably thinking about his friend turning into a greedy monster and coming up with a predictable doubtful lie. "He lied to me as if I would believe him."

I got up from my chair and turned to the window. "Rafael is not a fool to take the old age home under his wing before it's planned to be attacked." I paused to control my growing irritation. "Hence, this kicks him out of our list of suspects."

Raghav hummed in response, "He wouldn't take a risk at all. From what Nathan told me he had arrogantly refused having any connections with the grooming factory mafias. I do feel he's not involved."

"Or maybe he is and he just took over the old age home and the NGO to crawl out of our list. You know, just to show how humble philanthropist he is."

The slow pour of memories from the meeting in the morning filled my mind. I don't have personal problems with Rafael King, but still, somewhere my wolf and I kind stand to like him. Or think about him being a nice guy. No pedophile can be nice, can they. 

"Maybe or maybe not." Raghav got up too.

He closed the gap between us and gave me a serious look. His eyes were full of concern and his face white from overthinking about the homeless elders in the sold out nursing home.

"This is complicated, Manik." He said in a voice laced with fear. "Cyrus was the most loyal person I knew until two minutes ago. If he he can be bought, it's possible Rafael King and other wealthy businessmen have their fingers dipped into this mess or partially involved." He sighed. "I don't know who to believe and who not to."

I squeezed his shoulder. "I promise I'll catch the culprits."

It slipped from my mind but Raghav conducted autopsy on the infants. He had been awfully disturbed and asked for a break. But the call made me work on an impulse and I happened to summon him here only to drop another bomb of misery on him.

"This could be more complicated for all I care. I swear they're not going to get away." I said, hoping to provide some support to him.

"I hope you do." He forced a smile. "I would have joined you but..."

"I'd love to have you too, buddy. You must rest though. I know the autopsy was not easy to conduct. I am sorry."

Raghav provided with more information regarding the old age home before he left. I was trying to put the pieces of information acquired from two different sources together when Nathan appeared. He had a grin on his face, which was so very unlikely at the moment.

"What makes you smile in this tenseful situation?" I gaped at my watch to keep track of time.

Nathan scratched his temple, "Nandini cornered me outside your study."

"She did?" I stared at the door, wondering how she could linger around me without her scent or presence being known.

"She told me... To tell you that..." He couldn't contain a laugh. "... May you slip on your way out and swell your bum."

I endeavoured to hold a stern look but it didn't work out. Grinning ear to ear, I imagined her saying those words to me in her enticing accent. I like this girl for her gallant. She doesn't teeter at all. She says what is on her mind without hesitation.

"I'm going to deal with her for cursing her alpha later on." I fake a frown in front of Nathan.

He cackled again, "You two really fight like a couple. Sometimes I wonder if you are secretly dating each other. You put up with her with more ease than anyone else in the mansion as if she's your girlfriend. I've never seen an alpha so reserved and controlled around a girl like Nandini despite her being so irritating." I returned to my desk while ignoring him.

I thought I should tell Nathan about Nandini and me. He should know as my beta. But he is as loyal to my mother as he is to me. He would not keep his mouth shut if mom asked him about us. He would give it away just when my mother said, "It's my order." And I believe out love is a little bit too animated to come out just like that.

It needs a good and proper revelation. One that sets everyone's mouth ajar and explodes their brains.

Anyway, I focused on the challenge lying ahead of me. "Did you appoint a team to watch over the old age home?"

"They've already reached and spread around."

"Good," I leaned forward as I prepared to drop another bomb-like order on him. "Next were going to—"

"Alpha!" I was cut short by a servant who is also appointed as the bearer of tidings. His eyes were wide like an enraged Hyde's and heartbeat making my ears ache.

He wheeled inside without asking for permission and stared deep in my eyes, "There's a messenger sent from the headquarters. He says they've received a parcel similar as the one received in the morning serving as another warning for you, Alpha. It smells of blood and flesh and they're afraid it's another head."

That had me ogle at my watch. Then I cast a hasty glance out of the window of my study room. The sun was gloriously shining over the horizon. The birds basked in its light as they flew through the clouds. It was still bright day-- far too soon to get the warning message.

I turned to Nathan and he instantaneously mentioned, "The team is outside the target area, Alpha. You can talk with one of them on the link if you want verbal confirmation."

Nathan undid several buttons of his shirt as he added, "They told me everything is in place and nothing looks out of order. No one is missing either."

"It's not the old age home that should concern you, Alpha, but the head." Raw anxiety glittered Bobby's eyes as he stole my turn of speaking.

I was forced to pick on my lip as my mind was fogged with too many thoughts. But wait, I stared up deep in Bobby's eyes with my brows knitting together.

"Another head? Did you really say another head?" I was too overwhelmed to focus on each of his words beside the mention of warning.

Nathan and I shared a look again as we grasped the news carefully. Perhaps the old age home was a distraction, and the target was something else-- correction, somebody else.

That also implies that the details as well as its transmitter was feigned.

"Whose head it is?" Although it should stress me, I was kind of glad that it was just one head and not many head of helpless elders.

"Come on, Bobby, whose head it is?"

"It's..." I saw his face turn into bloodless white.

It looked like he had never head regarding what he was going to speak. "Just say it already, Bobby!" I hollered, too impatient to be kept on the edge of my seat waiting.

Bobby stifled a breath before he dawned on me news that turned my heart and brain upside down, "The renowned billionaire, Rafael King's."

Tbc… 

3 new chapters. Enjoy reading 😊😊😊
What are your thoughts about them plot? Are you liking it?
Want more about manan?

Don't forget to comment and vote.

Target: 50 comments and 150 votes for another 2 chapters.