85. Finally we met, Mate

Manik's POV

Damn it! I sent the laptop and other stuff including files and folders catapulting in the air where they lingered animatedly for about a second and came crashing down on the floor with a loud boom.

Dropping my head in my hands, I squeezed my eyes shut as I tried to erase that look of remorse I had seen in Nandini's eyes. I knew she would take a toll on me. Her gaze would make it a lot harder than it already was, which is why I decided to avoid her. But I hadn't expected to meet her moist eyes like I did thirty minutes ago.

It was for a fleeting second before the door closed. But the impact it left on me was catastrophic. I had no idea that she was waiting outside. That stupid Nathan would tag her along, and leave her waiting while he entered my room to request me to listen to her problem and her with it.

I was already in shreds due to Gianna's faltering condition. She had severe internal bleeding. Her spleen was damaged and the doctor had to remove it, sending her in a state of coma to prevent any infection arising henceforth. It was a miracle that she was still alive. Otherwise the doctors who were in the operating room with Raghav exclaimed that any wolf marginally survives such baleful abrasions.

And the mate-bond was making things worse as I could sense each ripple in her body. Every gash that was sore made the area where she had acquired them twitch in my body as if they were my own. My wolf was wistfully ill and my heart was torn into two-- out of which, one part mourned for my mate and the other for my girlfriend.

Fuck. I feel trapped.

This was the last feeling I wanted to graze. Getting worried because of Nandini was why I ignored her even after acknowledging her need for me.

I saw her last night by the door. She was in the shadows, standing so quiet and animatedly as if she was not breathing. My heart and body, nevertheless, became aware of her existence as soon as she stepped into my radar. All I wanted to do was run to her and take her in my arms. But I knew that would make things even more complicated. I did what was best and left with my allies and doctors to the hospital even though I was not really required there.

I was running from Nandini. Avoiding her. Asshole Nathan had to bring her with himself and make it a mess. I'm sure she heard me and the language I used. It was purely unintended. I've never used that language for Nandini but I was furious and Gianna's medical updates pushed me over the edge.

Hell. Massaging my face with slightly trembling gingers, I heaved. The more I stay in the mansion, the more drastic my encounters with Nandini would become. Thus, I gathered all the important documents and files I had once hurled across the room and dashed out at once.

In the hospital I borrowed Raghav's cabin from him. Settling down, I took a breath of relief. Well, it was not really full of relief but to some extent I was relieved that I wouldn't have to worry about running into Nandini and witness those seagrass-tinted orbs accusing me of betrayal.

Ugh. I am sorry, Nandini. I know I am being a hard ass on you. However, I vow that once everything related to Gianna is sorted out, I'll come to you and explain everything to you.

But first I needed to know her backstory and where her husband is at the moment.

That reminded me of the doctor's updates who was appointed to monitor Gianna's movements. He said that she was caught chanting the name, Richie. It must be him. Her husband.

'If she's been chanting his name in a state of unconsciousness, it's obvious they have to be in deep love with each other.' My wolf muttered with some distress.