Chapter 68: Conversation

"I'm just gonna say it- Hyunjin-and-I-snuck-off-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-met-with-a-small-group-who-helped-us---kill Brian

"I'm just gonna say it- Hyunjin-and-I-snuck-off-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-met-with-a-small-group-who-helped-us---kill Brian." The words of Chan's confession spewed out before the last two men to enter the room made it to their seats.

Waves of contradicting emotions flooded the stunned and speechless group. Changbin, who was in the process of sitting, froze, hovering just over the surface of the chair. He slowly lifted back to standing position, narrowing his gaze to the table as he processed the admission.

Seungmin, who was mid stride to his chair, came to a grinding hault and snapped his head in Chan's direction, glaring at him as his blood ran hot.

The seconds seemed like hours as Chan panned to each member, trying to read their expressions. "There were six of us." He added before looking at Changbin. "Wooyoung said to tell the sexy pig rabbit, 'hello.'

"He's dead, dead? Were there others?" Han asked hesitantly.

Hyunjin, who was sitting in I.N's typical position at the computer,  displayed the pictures he had taken of the body and the fire to the wall moniter. "Yes. Dead, dead. He was alone."

All eyes studied the screen, some more intently than others. Seungmin stepped closer to the moniter and squinted his eyes, carefully panning over every detail. "Who fired the shot?" He asked in a deep, monotone voice.

"Lia." Chan replied as Seungmin continued to stare at the photo of Brian.

"I assume he was left in the house?" Seungmin questioned.

"Yea, Lia stayed behind to set the fire." Chan explained.

Seungmin furrowed his brows and hesitantly nodded his head, saying nothing else.

"Why didn't you tell us what you were doing?" I.N finally spoke up.

Felix adjusted in his chair. "I don't know if I'm pissed, relieved, or both. This wasn't the way to do this, Chan."

"Yea, I think we're all glad he's gone, but Chan. So much could have gone wrong. That wasn't fair to risk, especially while keeping us in the dark." Changbin stated.

"You're right, and I'm sorry. But what's done is done. We needed Lily to be safe, and now she's safe." Chan replied confidently.

"Leeknow, did you know about this?" Han asked, seeing him unphased in the corner of the room with his arms folded over his chest.

Leeknow shook his head. "Nope. Went to check on them this morning when I got up, and they were gone. Didn't hear anything until an hour and a half ago."

"How are we supposed to know now if he's working with others?" Han added.

Chan, to a seat as he replied calmly. "He was just released from jail. Did he act at all like someone who was after anything other than answers and maybe revenge? Bobby's team is dead, and his files show no evidence of organized crime."

Hyunjin added, almost interrupting Chan. "He learned about us less than two days ago." He panned between Han, Felix, and Seungmin. "I read the messages between you three, and I'm certain your theory was correct. We believe he was nothing more than Bobby's brother."

Chan nodded and added, "He was in an abandoned house that had nothing in it to raise concern. Listen, guys, I wouldn't have done this if I didn't think the outcome outweighed the risk. We'll remain under code red protocols for the time being. We'll continue to track the secretary. The fake inspection will still take place. We'll have him completely under our microscope by the end of the day."

The majority of the group's expressions had begun to settle. Seungmin and Leeknow seemed to remain bothered yet stayed silent.

Chan softened his tone. "Can we, at least until we have reason to believe otherwise, count this as a win? When Lily wakes up, I want us all to be able to tell her with positive attitudes. Today is all about Lily. No work unless it's an emergency. Whatever that precious girl up there needs from us, she gets. Let's make today happy and comfortable for her. Can we do that? Please?"

After everyone happily agreed to Chan's request, Changbin glanced over to Seungmin and asked. "Seungmin, do you think this will help her? With what she said this morning?"

Seungmin sighed, "It's hard to say. Theoretically, yes. But it isn't that simple. The fact that this happened behind her back could make her feel less in control. Or it could give her control back. Either way, what Chan says definitely needs to happen. Whatever she needs, she gets."

"That won't be hard. The Princess gets that anyway." Changbin chuckled, lightening the mood.

Smiles and chuckles finally appeared, allowing the tension to finally fade.

"Well, I'm pissed I didn't see the son of a bitch go down, but at least he's down." Leeknow finally spoke up, earning a sigh of relief from Chan and Hyunjin.

I.N nodded and let out a breathy malicious laugh. "Yea, but at least we have pictures to enjoy."

"True." Felix replied, nodding his head in a tilt.

"Well, if we're done here, let's go reheat the food." Chan instructed as he clapped his hands together.

"Actually, hold on." Hyunjin quickly stated as he glanced at Felix, Changbin, and Seungmin. The three immediately knew what Hyunjin was about to say. A smile played on their lips as they settled back in for another conversation as he continued. "While we have a moment away from Lily, outside of the chat, I'd like for us to discuss something."

As soon as he had everyone's attention, he continued. "Have any of you thought about marrying Lily?"

Their expressions of confusion blended with curiosity as they furrowed and arched their brows, staring back and forth at each other.

Each one replied with their own variation of 'yes' before Chan added, "That wouldn't be possible, though."

Changbin spoke up as he did in the previous conversation, "Why? Our entire organization is based on illegal activity and fake documents."

"Our vows with the agency, our vows with every sub contract we've held, our vows with our allies. We've made countless vows that aren't legally binding. However, they're honored as if they were. Why should marriage vows be any different?" Hyunjin argued.

Excitement filled the room as each member realized the logic in their arguments. 

"Guy, we really could do this!" Han stated, eyes widened, and jaw dropped at the possibility.

Chan chuckled and nodded his head. "Well, I guess the only thing left to discuss is how and whe-"

Hyunjin interrupted with a confused tone, and he furrowed his brows at the ringing phone. "Hold on- Yeji is video calling-"