Chapter 70

Sorry that the update is short but I'm working on a deadline here! I'm determined not to break the cliffy rule! Enjoy...

Skidding through the main entry way tile, I slid a little in my socks before coming to a full stop. I stared at the three guys who in turn stared at me. I took in their appearance, their clothes, hair and skin were sooty and my hands rose up to cover my mouth. I scanned each one all over with my eyes, trying to see if there were any injuries. I didn't see any and relaxed slightly.

"How did you know?" Wyatt asked me. "You really had a dream about me?"

I nodded and took a step closer to them. "What happened?" I whispered. "Are you all ok?"

"Yes, Delphine." Preston answered me. "We are all fine. I even had Chase give us a once over to be sure."

Jake spoke up. "Wyatt was on an Academy job in Charleston. He was working on recovering some files on a computer when the company owner decided that it was a great time to torch the place to cover his tracks. We got there just in time to help get everyone else including Wyatt out of the building."

"I didn't even lose the info I needed." Wyatt said and held up a thumb drive. "Thanks to you that is!"

I gave him a tremulous smile and threw myself into his arms. "Oh darling, what would we do without you?" he said to me, hugging me tightly to him. I lifted my head up to look at him and he gave me a kiss.

"Geez, you've got her all dirty now." complained Jake.

I started to giggle and wrinkled my nose. "You all smell like smoke."

"Sorry, I did get you a little dirty." Wyatt said and swiped a finger across my cheek.

Jake stifled a grin and Preston looked amused. I pulled out of Wyatt's arms and went over to Jake to give him a hug. He hugged me back and playfully stroked his thumb over my upper lip. His grin grew wider and I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. Turning to look at Preston, who's amused look grew into a grin, I said to him, "They are drawing on my face with their dirty fingers aren't they?" Preston refused to answer and just laughed.

I tried to pull out of Jake's arms and he tightened his grip. "Oh no, you're not getting away that easy. Get her Wyatt!"

Wyatt came towards me waving his smoky fingers at me. "Time for your makeover!" he said gleefully.

I squealed and twisted in his grasp but it was no use. Jake's grip held and Wyatt started finished the mustache that Jake had started. "Preston, help!" I shrieked while laughing. Preston moved in front of me and his hands went up. I thought that he was going to pull me away from them but instead the man decided to smudge his fingers on my chin.

I sputtered out protests in between giggles and finally they let me go after marking up my face. "I am so going to get you guys back!" Jake laughed at me, "Whatcha gonna do baby?"

I tapped a finger on my chin pretending to deliberate. "For starters, there might not be enough dessert tonight for everyone. Or maybe I'll have headaches on certain nights..."

"No!" yelped Jake. "Anything but the headaches!" The other two guys laughed and agreed with him. Preston spoke up, "We really should go get cleaned up before the others come home for dinner."

My eyes widened. "Dinner!" I shouted and took off to the kitchen. Luckily the timer wasn't going to go off for another 2 minutes. I pulled out the oven mitts and turned the oven and timer off. Carefully I slid the big tray onto the cooling rack.

"Is that what I think it is?" Preston asked with longing in his voice.

"Yup, Shepard's Pie." I said with pride. "I found a recipe for it on the internet. It's from an English chef so I'm hoping that it will taste authentic."

"You truly are a marvel Delphine." he said. "I can't wait to eat it but I still need to get cleaned up first and so do you." Holding his hand out to me, I took it and went upstairs with him. He walked me to my door and left me there to go shower in his own room. I stripped off my clothes and threw them in the hamper. Turning the shower on, I made sure that there was plenty of scented body wash and shampoo and a couple of washcloths. I took a look at my face in the mirror and made a face. They had not only given me a mustache and goatee, but also whiskers on my cheeks. I had to laugh, I did look funny!

I took my shower making sure to scrub well. I used both washcloths to make sure that my face was clean. Drying off quickly, I grabbed some underwear and threw on some jeans and a soft tee shirt. I blow dried my hair and tied it up in a pony tail. I headed back to the kitchen to get the soufflés cooking. Brady and Lexine had just gotten home but Chase hadn't yet.

I greeted my daughter giving her a big hug and kiss, then went to Brady to give him the same. His hug was extra long and he said quietly to me, "So there is another hidden talent that you have. I'm so glad that you came into our lives."

I just blushed and smiled. Brady took Lexine to go wash her hands in the bathroom and I turned to see Jake all clean with his hair still damp, setting the table. I gave him a smile and went in to the kitchen to preheat the oven and pulled the tray of soufflés out of the fridge. The state of the art oven didn't take long to reach the desired temperature so I popped them in and set the timer. Preston came into the kitchen and carried out the Shepard's Pie into the dining room. I saw that Chase had come home while I was in the kitchen so I went to give him a welcome home hug and kiss.

"There is my amazing Delphine! You truly are a wonderful woman and thank God that you decided to take a nap today." he said praising me. "Ummm... something smells good. Let's eat."