Chapter 111

As we drove around with the car following us, to keep me from being anxious, he acted like a tour guide and gave me a running commentary on just about everything. "And to your right you will see yet another Charlestonian on his lunch break, with a few pigeons in the background." I couldn't help but giggle, he was really putting me at ease. Soon we drove past a drive in burger place that looked familiar. "Hey, that looks like the place that Brady took me to and we saw that Russian guy dressed in pink!" I exclaimed, thankful to recognize something. Jake laughed and said, "This is one of Brady's favorite places. Feel like an ice cream cone or milkshake?" I clapped my hands and said, "Milkshake please!"

Jake pulled over into an empty slot and after I saw the selection, ordered me a pineapple milkshake and a chocolate one for himself. It didn't take long for a girl in her late teens to skate her way over with our order. He paid her and we sat back enjoying our milkshakes. "Do you think that we will get some answers soon?" I asked Jake. He nodded and said, "Yes, sweetie we will. I promise that we will get to the bottom of this and we will end it." I reached out and held his hand. His thumb rubbed over the back of my hand reassuringly. We finished our milkshakes and he threw the cups away in a garbage can a few feet away from the car.

Jake checked his phone before driving again and said, "Everything is in place, all we need to do is lose the loser! Buckle up baby." I did as he asked and he did something to the shifter between us moving it out of automatic drive. He answered my question before I even asked it, "I'm taking the car out of automatic and into manual. This car has a paddle shift option so that I can have more control." Driving out of the parking lot normally and rejoining the regular traffic, Jake took us to the freeway and got on it. He pulled into the far left lane and waited until the car following us was in the same lane. Jake laughed and said, "Rookie mistake on his part!" Seeing an off ramp coming up, Jake gauged the traffic in the middle and right lane. Unexpectedly he managed to merge into the middle land then the right lane within seconds and was taking the off ramp.

"Now we take the back roads home without being followed." he said triumphantly and gave me a big grin. He did pull over to the curb for a minute to switch back into manual drive before heading home. The drive wasn't too long and I was anxious to get home though. When we were about two minutes from home I asked, "Ummm... Jake?" hesitantly. His attention was on me immediately, "What's wrong sweetie? Do you feel sick?" I shook my head, "No, I don't feel sick but can you drop me off by the front door? I uh... really have to pee." I admitted with a red face.

"Yeah, sure no problem! You should have said something earlier. I know that pregnant women have to pee a lot more than usual." Jake said to me, making most of my embarrassment go away. Once the gates opened and we were headed down the driveway, I unbuckled my seat belt ready to make a dash for it. He swung the car to the steps instead of the garage and I bolted as soon as he came to a stop. Luckily the front door was unlocked and I raced through it to the bathroom completely bypassing a confused looking Preston in the foyer. Thank God for elastic waists! I thought to myself as I sat down to go. Once I had went, I felt so relieved! I had forgotten about this part of pregnancy. Constantly having to go made me not want to stray too far from a bathroom. After washing my hands I ventured out the door to face poor ignored Preston. He was standing there with Jake, who undoubtedly explained my predicament for me. 

I went straight into Preston's arms and hugged him, "I'm sorry for ignoring you but I had to go really bad." He chuckled and said, "No problem my dear. I completely understand." Running his hand down my hair, Preston leaned down to kiss me. "Go sit down and rest for a little bit," he suggested to me, "You've probably have had too much excitement today." I really didn't want to but a little yawn escaped me. I grudgingly agreed to some rest and went to the living room while they got the bags out of the car. I reclined in the love seat with a blanket over me and closed my eyes. The first trimester was always so tiring.