Chapter 38

We let go our hands when the food arrived. Lexine got her corndog and the steamed bucket was set between Jake and I with another smaller bucket for shells and plates with extra napkins and some crab crackers.
"Ladies first!" Jake said.
I grabbed a cluster of crab legs and set it on my plate. I took a crab cracker and went for the claw first. Jake took a cluster too. We went to work eating the crab and shelling the shrimp. I pulled a shell off of a crab leg without breaking the meat and showed it to Jake. He looked impressed and I reached over to him with it and said, "Here, try that!" He grabbed my hand to steady it and ate it. It was kind of intimate to be feeding him like that and I really liked it. He shelled a shrimp and held it out to me. I ate it the same way that he did with me and the smile he gave me was blinding. We continued to give each other choice bites in between feeding ourselves. I felt a little playful and I pulled the shrimp away from Jake's mouth right when he was about to bite down. I giggled while he tried chasing it with his mouth but then gave up and just grabbed my hand with both of his to hold it steady while he ate it. Lexine was giggling too and Jake had to laugh as well.
"Jake? I thought that was you." A pretty woman with light brown hair was stopped next to our table. His smile faded as he looked at her.
"Elizabeth. How are you?" Jake asked politely.
"I'm fine, just meeting a friend for lunch." She looked at me and Lexine curiously.
"Elizabeth, this is Delphine and her daughter Lexine. Delphine this is Elizabeth. She used to work in one of Preston's offices as a real estate agent."
"Oh, it's nice to meet you." I said to her with a hesitant smile. She wasn't smiling and didn't look that happy. I was glad all of a sudden that I had taken the time to put some makeup on today.
"Yes, nice to meet you as well." Elizabeth said with a cool smile. "Well, I should get to my table. I see my friend now. Tell Preston I said hello. Don't be a stranger Jake. Give me a call sometime."
"I doubt that I'll find the time. I'm pretty busy these days with my two girls here."
Elizabeth snorted and walked away.
"Well, she wasn't very pleasant was she?" I asked Jake.
"No. She used to have her eye on Preston but he refused to date anybody that worked in his offices and then she turned her attention to me."
Jake grabbed a crab leg and pointed it at me.
"We southern men don't care for aggressive women. We like to do the chasing! I like a sweet woman who blushes and lets me flirt with her...." He grinned at me. "Well, maybe I would let you chase me. You are my only exception!"
I laughed and grabbed the crab leg out of his hand.
"Hey woman! Are you stealing my food?" Jake said and pouted.
"Maybe I was just going to crack the shell for you!" I said secretly thinking that his pout made him adorable.
"Oh, well then. That's ok."
I cracked the shell and pulled out the meat in one piece and held it out for him. He leaned forward and nipped my fingers as he ate the crab meat. A warmth started low in my stomach as he locked eyes with me. I knew without a doubt that he would have his makeout time with me today.
We finished eating and I took Lexine and a wedge of lemon to the bathroom to wash our hands and use the facilities. I found that washing my hands with lemon juice got rid of the seafood smell. We got back to the table and Jake was signing the receipt. Jake went to use the men's room and told us to wait at the table for him.
Lexine and I sat down to wait for Jake. We admired her seagull and compared him to the real ones outside of our window.
"So, you are dating Jake?"
I looked up to find Elizabeth standing there.
"Why do you want to know? I asked her.
"Well, seeing as you are a single mom, don't expect Jake to be fascinated with you for too long. After all, men don't want someone else's baggage." She gave a scornful look at my daughter. "Besides, his career doesn't leave much room for children. I doubt that he wants any. He's never shown any interest before. Eventually he will wake up and call me. I'm more of his style anyways."
I felt my blood boil! I wasn't going to put up with anybody putting down my girl!
Putting a smile on my face, I leaned back in my chair and looked her up and down.
"Well, Jake seems to find me to be his type. As for children he is fantastic with Lexine! He adores her. You know you have a pretty face but an ugly personality. Jake and Preston are smart enough to see it. Here is a tip for you, men really don't like mean women. If you are really that desperate for a man that you would chase after ones that don't want you, maybe you should consider dating websites that can help you with finding a guy of your own."
I heard a snort of laughter and saw that Jake had walked up to hear me tell her off. Elizabeth's face paled a little and looked stony.
"That's some really good advice she just gave you Elizabeth. Maybe you should take it!" Jake told her. "And please don't ever bother my girls again!"
She walked away in a hurry and we waited until she was back at her table before we left the restuarant. Jake picked up Lexine and held my hand as we left. He grinned at me and said, "You let her have it! That was great!"
"Well, she gave Lexine a dirty look and said that she was unwanted baggage. I have a bad temper when it comes to someone messing with my daughter!"
We sat in the golf cart and Jake leaned over Lexine to give me a kiss. "I know what I want, and what I want is you two in my life." Looking at Lexine, he said, "Don't listen to what that crazy lady said in there. You are always wanted by me and the other guys ok?" She nodded at him and he leaned down to kiss her forehead. She held up Scuttle and he kissed her seagull too.
"Ok, now it's beach time!" Jake proclaimed and the golf cart took off.