Chapter 9

So many nice comments! I love that my story is making people happy. I will continue to try and update this story as often as I can. Work is making it hard as I'm trying to train for a new position. Enjoy!

I found the kitchen and immediately fell in love with it. Marble counters, state of the art appliances and a big island in the middle! Who wouldn't want to cook in this kitchen? Jake was cooking eggs and bacon. Hazel eyes guy was mixing up some pancake batter. Brady was with Lexine pouring her some cereal in a bowl at the informal eating area.

"Is there anything I can help with?" I offered but a chorus of no's with a smile was given back.

Lexine waved at me and pointed to the seat next to her. On the other side was Brady.

"You found something she likes." I said to Brady and he grinned.

"Yeah, guys are just big kids so we have all sorts of goodies around." he replied. "Look, I know that it will be a few days before you get anything figured out with a job or a place to rent so how about staying here until you do."

I was floored. "I can at least pay rent or something right? I can't just stay here for free. It's not right."

Jake came over with a plate that had two pancakes, a scoop of scramble eggs and a couple strips of bacon. He placed it in front of me saying, "Yes, you can and we will figure something out."

Hazel eyes guy came over with some silverware and gave me a fork. "We haven't been formally introduced yet. I'm Wyatt." and smiled at me.

"Nice to meet you." I replied back.

The three guys got plates of food for themselves and sat down at the table with us. I couldn't believe the amount of food in front of them! I realized that I was staring so I just started eating my breakfast.

I kept thinking that I needed to do something for them for letting us stay here.

"Isn't there something I can do in exchange for us staying here?" I asked them.

"I can do laundry, clean up room, or cook for you guys."

"No, you don't have to do any of that!" exclaimed Brady.

"Laundry?" asked Jake.

"You can cook?" asked Wyatt at the same time.

"Yes, I can cook and do laundry. I really don't mind. It's the least I can do."

Brady gave the other two guys a dirty look and sighed.

"Jake you know how to do your own laundry. Wyatt, we do know how to cook."

"No, really I don't mind. I do know how to make a good lasagna. It's in my blood. I'm half Italian..." I told them.

Jake looks surprised and said, "Williams isn't an Italian last name."

Wyatt rolled his eyes and said," That's obviously her married name. There's a tan line on her ring finger."

Brady looked at me over Lexine's head. "Divorced?" he asked quietly.

"Um, no. Widowed."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

I shrugged glancing at Lexine. "Things happen." I said. "I still have my girl. That's enough for me."

The three of them exchanged glances, doing that strange and silent conversation with no words.

Brady cleared his throat. "Well, you were saying that you can cook Italian food?"

"Yes." I said relieved about the subject change.

"What else can you cook?" asked Jake.

"Korean food. That's my other half." I answered.

Wyatt looked intrigued. "Half Italian and half Korean huh? That is the coolest combo that I've ever heard!"

"Also the most beautiful!" Jake chimed in and winked at me.

Brady just grinned and nodded. "Chase is going to love you!"

"Who is Chase?" I asked.

"He's the only one you haven't met yet. Chase should be home this afternoon. He's a doctor and works over at a hospital in Charleston. And he loves Korean food."

With their attention fixed on me, I felt shy again. Lexine finished her cereal and tugged on my arm. Glad for a reason to look away, I grabbed a napkin and wiped her mouth off.

"You want to go get dressed?" I asked her. She nodded and climbed down from her chair. I started to pick up her bowl and my plate but Brady's arm shot out and stopped me.

"I'll make you a deal. If you cook dinner tonight, we will take care of cleanup. Sound good?" he asked.

"Oh, um ok. It's a deal." I replied feeling pleased that I was able to contribute something. Taking Lexine's hand, we headed back upstairs to our room. This was so much better than a motel! I was excited to actually be cooking for the guys tonight. They would appreciate it.