Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Alex

My first impression of Leo was this socially awkward, goofy kid who couldn’t be bothered by anything. Apparently I was wrong. But there was more to it. I felt like he WANTED to help me, but didn’t know how. I don’t cry, I don’t fall in love, and I don’t make connections. EVER. Now I’m kind of wishing that I never met Leo and Annabeth and Percy. Even Hazel and Nico seemed like they wanted to help me, and then there was Grover too. I’m starting to wish that I never met any of them, because it just makes it harder to leave. I broke all my own rules.

I don’t make connections with people. I don’t make friends. I don’t even tell them my real name. So why did I with them? It was a mistake I couldn’t risk doing again. All I could think about know was how to escape from here, unseen.

Leo and I made our way up to the mess hall for dinner. Leo was taller than me, so next to him I felt like some pathetic princess in this ridiculous dress I was wearing. Luckily, I was still wearing my combat boots, I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have those with me. Heads turned in our direction, and a few gasp and start whispering frantically to their friends.

“That’s the girl!” I head one say in a hushed tone. “The girl who made the whirl pool in the lake!” “I heard…” what was this the Salem witch trials?  

“Eh, don’t pay attention to them. The Aphrodite cabin just loves a fresh bit of gossip.” Piper said to me, coming over from the rest of her siblings. “I would know, I have to live with them.” She persuades.  I shrugged. I was trying hard not make this harder than it had to be, but they just really where just too nice to try to get rid of. I wanted to punch myself in the gut for being so stupid. Before I ran over to sit at the Hecate table, Leo pulled me to the side.

“Alex,” Leo said, so quiet I could hardly hear him “you have to promise me that you’re not going to try and leave. You will be dead in hours. Now that you know so much of the truth…” his voice trailed off. I nod, “Promise?” he insists.

“Promise” I lied.