Chapter 50

Chapter 50: LEO

She didn’t even understand what that was like for me, to see exactly what she did. The way she explained it was bad enough, but I had no idea how much she deceived me! She didn’t even understand it, and now to top that, she was taking NICO’s side. Could you believe that?

I turned to look where Grover was pointing. The skeletons were now just a pile of bones and weapons. Alex had exploded them with her mind again. But there was more; the thick fog that had covered the ground had turned jet black.

“That’s not good.” Nico murmured.

“Why? What is it?” I ask.

“Poison. It’s a cursed gas almost. It’s hard to explain, but if we breathe that stuff in, we will die in a matter of minutes.” He looked out on the black smoke that was rapidly climbing the trees and pushing forward, spreading across the island. It would get into the cave in a few minutes. Soon, we were all going to be dead. I look around at Nico and Alex as well, but they looked just as frightened.

“So that’s it? We are just going to die?” I state. They frown.

“Not if we could stop it, but it’s not exactly something you can kill, now is it?” Nico snapped, but Nico could just disappear through the shadows and escape into the underworld. He wasn’t the one who was going to die. Alex looks over at me, and I knew what she was thinking.

“Alex, no. You can’t use your magic, it could kill you.”

“We are going to die anyway what’s the difference!” She stood at the edge of the entrance, and concentrated. She stuck her palm out and her eyes turned black.

“Alex, are you sure about this?” She didn’t seem to hear me. The wind picked up and the cave entrance shimmered. Alex was shaking though; the power was over whelming her. “Alex! You have to stop!” she was obviously trying to stop but couldn’t. “Tempest, stop!” Alex’s eyes cleared, and she fell to her knees, coughing. Something slipped out of her pocket and fell across the floor. “Alex, are you ok?”  She nodded, cleared her throat and looked up. I bent down and picked up the silver object that had rolled across the floor to me. My jaw dropped.

“Give me that.” Alex rushed, trying to grab it from me, but I move it out of her reach. I stare at her, and she blushed. “Leo, give that back.” He murmured. I glance back down at the silver whistle in my hand.

“I can’t believe you still have this.”