Chapter 60

Chapter 60: Leo

I had to make Alex fall in love, and preferably with me. When Alex came back to the camp last night, I figured that it was my last chance. I had asked Piper how to make that happen, and I’m pretty sure she could tell that I liked her, although I hadn’t gone outright and said it. Piper told me some jibberish about ‘true love’s kiss’ or something like that. Of course, I didn’t really believe that, but I had to try something.

Anyways, it didn’t work, because I chickened out at the last minute. Also, I’ve never actually kissed anyone before, and I wasn’t sure how I would go about doing that. Then she announced we would go into battle today, and I had run out of time.

“There is only one last thing you can do. In the caves behind the castle, there is a Cyclops guarding a goblet that can break the curse. It’s incredibly dangerous, and fixing magic with magic can easily backfire.” Arabeya’s voice echoed inside of my brain. So what was I gonna do? Well I’m going to try to save Alex, but in reality I was probably going to end up dying. FUN, right?

“Leo, just be careful.” Piper warned I nodded. Alex led us into battle this morning, because she claimed we couldn’t wait for Tyson and his Cyclops buddies to come help us. She was going to destroy us before that happened. So I snuck around to the back of the castle, melted a few monsters on my way, and stopped at the entrance of the caves, looking in. It wasn’t just about Alex anymore. It had to do with the fate of the entire world.

“Leo?” Alex gasped. I turned and her jaw dropped. “You’re not being tortured?” There were plenty of reasons why she would say that right? She might, uh….

“Ok, I don’t even have an UNreasonable reason of why you would say that.” I state blankly.  Her eyes go cold.

“Circe” She sneered. “Why did she send me here? She does everything for a reason.” She turns to me. “What are you doing here anyway?” I look into the cave and back at her.

“Uh, nothing.” She raised an eyebrow.  She reached over and touched my arm.

“No, you’re real.” She uttered, withdrawing her hand. “Leo, what are you doing?”

“I can’t tell you that.” I could tell that she was expecting that I was doing something bad.

“Her heart is colder than stone,” Circe’s voice repeated in my head. Ya, you could say that again.

The sky suddenly got dark and arcs of green electricity shot through the sky. Everything suddenly clicked. Why Circe sent her here, why Arabeya warned I would have to die. If I was going to make this work… oh gods. It was like that old saying, sometimes you don’t love something until after it’s gone, or something like that. It was a big risk. If it was going to work, I would have to make sure Alex would stay. Figuring she would do the exact opposite as what I told her to do…

“Alex! Go!” I warned, trying to make my voice sound urgent and panicky,  which wasn’t very hard. “Alex, please! Just go.”

“No” she announced defiantly. She stepped closer, and I looked up into the sky.

“I hope you enjoy dying, because it’s not going to work.” Circe cooed. Alex suddenly seemed to realize what was happening a moment too late.

“LEO NO!” she screamed, and three lightning bolts struck me struck me a moment later. I flew back twenty feet into the jagged rocks. I felt dizzy, and everything was fuzzy. I heard a faint sound of Alex screaming, but it sounded distant even though I could feel her presence over me. She grabbed my hand, and it was cold and stiff. I gathered enough strength to look down at my hand, and up at Alex’s desperate face. I gave a little smile. The world was slipping away from me, I said something, but I couldn’t hear myself, and I don’t know what it was. The world went completely silent, and I heard the repeating nursery rhyme echoing throughout the world.

“Olympus is calling, Olympus is falling. Dawn on the day that marks the night that she shall rise when the evening dies.” And everything was gone.