Chapter 63

Chapter 63: Percy

We were in the middle of battle when green lighting crossed the sky, and the strangest monsters I’ve ever seen went after Annabeth and me. They chased us up the tower and I was almost certain that was going to be the end of us.  Then, Circe herself appeared on the roof of tower where we stood. She looked positively evil.

“Tick tock,” she sneered. “Your time’s up.” She pointed her staff at Annabeth and I. Annabeth reached over and grabbed my hand, which made the situation a little less terrible. Suddenly, Circe dropped her staff and screamed in pain. She dropped to the floor, doubling over in pain, still screaming. Snow started to fall. Snow? On Halloween? But that wasn’t important. The wolf-like monsters of Circe’s army started rising again. Circe brought enough energy to mutter one last word as she started shimmering gold. “Kill them.” She demanded. The demon wolf things bared their teeth and launched themselves toward us.

“Percy! I’ve seen these before! Their prey gives them strength. If we die by their hands, or teeth or claws or whatever, then that gives them more strength!” Annabeth shouted. More came up the stairs. We would never be able to fight them off. I look over the edge, and far down below. There is no way we could stay alive through this, so I couldn’t see any other option. Annabeth seemed to be thinking the same thing. “If their prey escapes it will make them weaker. It would at least stop them from going after the rest of the campers.” Heck, we were gonna die anyway. I grab her other hand as well, and we face each other as the wolves were almost upon us.

“I love you.”

“I love you too seaweed brain.” And together, we jumped off the tower.