Chapter 69

Chapter 69: Leo

The pain was overwhelming. I looked down, and nearly passed out when I saw how big the pool of blood was around my feet. “Tell me Leo,” Circe picked up the knife that was at Piper’s feet. I tensed as she walked up to me, pointing it straight at me. She must have been able to sense my fear because she smiled again. She flicked her hand and the knife pressing against my throat fell to the ground. I lowered my chin, and take a few deep breaths, but they were painful. I looked down, but I couldn’t pick up the knife to protect myself. Circe was already standing in front of me. “I can see the fear in your eyes.” She commented, staring coldly into them. “But not for yourself…” she said slowly.

“What?” I say shakily.

“I’ve spent most of my life, which mind you, has been for a long time, to perfect reading human expressions. I see fear in your eyes; fear for your friends. You are scared for Alex, how cute.” She ran the tip of the blade along my chest and moved the hair out of my eyes. She pressed the flat of the blade against my chin, forcing me to lift my head up. “You probably know her better than anyone. Nobody would deny that” she whispered hoarsely.

“What’s your point?”

“Tell me how to hurt her beyond measure.”

“Why the hell do you think I would tell you that?” she narrowed her eyes.

“Do you understand the purpose of blackmail?” I take in a sharp breath.

“I don’t care what you do to me. I’m not telling you anything.” She rolled her eyes.

“Well duh. You care more about your friends’ safety than your own. Yes, yes. You're just a regular hero, blah blah blah. I really don’t care. No, I can just kill all your friends slowly and painfully.”

“You are too weak to kill my friends,” I venture. “You can barely stand on your own feet.” Complete and utter rage burned up inside her.

“I guess it wouldn’t be a very big deal for me just to kill you now.” She raised the knife, and I braced myself for the final blow. The dagger was a few inches away from stabbing my heart, when Circe collapsed. The dagger grazed my side and I let out a cry of pain. Alex stood where Circe was with a plank of wood from the window sill. How did she manage that? My vision was getting blurry, and her eyes widen when she sees the amount of blood that was pooling around my feet and dripping from my shirt and face. I was breathing heavy, and I looked down at my hand, which had been covering the most recent wound, and it was completely red. Alex rushed to me as I doubled over in anguish. I dropped to my knees.

“Leo!” Her voice was panic-stricken. “Piper! Get me water!” Piper dashed out of the room instantly, as Alex threw the stick across the room. She moved my hand to look at the wound. “Oh my gods Leo, I’m so sorry. This is my fault.” I let out a snort of laughter.

“I’ve been ‘almost dying’ for a lot longer than since I’ve met you.” Then, my vision went completely black.