Chapter 56

CHAPTER 56: Percy

Circe got an upgrade. After we blew it up the first time we saw her, I guess she just found another island and this time she built a castle, which is much creepier than a spa. We burst into the only room that was spilling out light, and found Leo, Grover, Nico and Alex with ghosts. Alex was talking to Luke. How in Hades did she know him? Apparently she didn't know about him being a demigod, because she had the same question.

“Are you trying to tell me that you lived down the street from him? He used to take care of you?” Annabeth demanded. I knew what she was thinking. It explains why he was so good at taking care of her when she had run away. Apparently he always felt like it was his job to try take care of people…

“We've kept in touch after he ran away. He didn't like my dad. Didn't trust him I guess.” Alex said quietly. “He was a demigod?” She asked gravely. Annabeth patted her shoulder for comfort.

“Son of Hermes. He died a hero in the war against the titans.” She wasn't lying, just wasn't telling the whole truth, trying to spare her feelings. Apparently she knew a bit more too.

“It doesn't matter now.” She said without any kind of readable expression on her face. “Just a bit of a shock, that's all. I didn't know he was dead. It's fine.” She was being serious though. It was a shock, but she wasn't going to loose herself over the fact. Just keep moving forward.

It was just then that I noticed that Circe had left. I don't know where to, but her little plan failed so she had to go. While glancing around, I noticed the door on the other side of the room was cracked ajar, and I saw a shadow of someone disappear behind the corner. I looked around again, and a little jolt of panic ran up my spine.

“Guys, where's Leo?” They glance around. Everyone was so wrapped up in Alex, I know Nico got rid of the mist, but I don't know what happened after that. I took off sprinting where I saw the shadow, uncapping riptide just in case I was wrong. I ran down the twisting halls, but I had no idea what I was doing. I might have lost him already. In fact, I had no idea how to get back either. I turned one last corner, and I saw Alex standing in front of big wooden doors, obviously not knowing I was there. She swung them open and went inside, shutting the doors behind her. I pressed my ear against the door, because I had a bad idea about it.

“So you came.” Circe cooed.

“What did you do to Leo?” Alex demanded coldly.

“Do what? I haven't even done anything yet!” She whined.

“Then where is he going?”

“Well how would I know?”